Marcelo and I are going to be booted from the Nursery. I already know this. We've been told that we will only be in the calling for around 6 months, but I don't think that we will make it that long. I think we will be asked to resign long long before that. We are the General Patton's of the Nursery.
Our complaint list is long and our demands are many. I'm sure many parents will ask to switch their kids into one of the other 2 nurseries in our ward. Here is just a partial list of our many complaints and things that we will be implementing during our reign of terror. . . er, I mean during our time in this calling:
Exhibit 1: Snotty nosed and sick kids. We will not put up with it. We will be returning kids to their parents if we hear more then 2 coughs per a 15 minute period. Also, if there is persistent muckage from the nose, I'll give your kid 10 minutes for it to dry up, and then I'm pullin' the plug. It's better that you don't drop your kid off if they are sick or are thinking about getting sick. It's just rude.
Exhibit 2: Child retrieval tardiness. The first counselor of the bishopric made an announcement last Sunday that it is very important that you come pick up your Junior Primary kids PROMPTLY. Not only do the teachers need their sanity after entertaining 6-10 wiggly kids after 2 hours, but there is another ward coming in that needs the room. Quit picking your nose, come pick up your kids. Despite what you may think, Primary isn't free daycare. We will not be here forever. We have lives too, so pick up your kid and let us out of our prison.
Exhibit 3: Lurking Parents. Drop your kid off and move on. Cut the cord. Maybe it's time that you set some boundaries and limits. I don't need you coddling your kid for 2 hours. I promise I won't smack your kid in the face, no matter how many times he throws pretzels at me. Nor will I spank him, no matter how much he deserves it. We had FOUR lurkers today. FOOOUUURRRR!! Not doing anything, just sitting in a chair as their kid played happily. I really think I know the reason your kid cries when you leave: Because you are teaching them! Boundaries, people.
Exhibit 4: Kids that don't belong there. The beginning of the year is hard for ALL primary kids. They ALL have to leave their teachers that they have become attached to for the past 12 months. They all have to move up a level and face the fact that maybe there won't be goldfish crackers and crates of toys at church. Maybe they will have to use the reverence skills that YOU as parents were supposed to teach them and sit and listen to a lesson. Change is good, and necessary. Primary it's not all bad, though. There are some songs to be song, maybe a crafts project. It's not Nazi Germany, after all.
What I DON'T want is for you get frustrated that your emotionally and socially stunted child isn't adapting well to Sunbeams and so you dump him in my Nursery class telling me that I can bring him back to his class in 45 minutes. And then when I go and drop him off at said Sunbeam class and try to leave him you only bring him back 5 minutes later because he isn't behaving well in his class. Guess what? If he can't behave well in Sunbeams, chances are he won't behave well in Nursery.
And that's just what happened. Your snot-nosed kid was grabbing things out of kids hands, running around screaming and demanding more cheese when it was all gone. And 1/2 of my kids followed his lead. Thanks but no thanks. If your kid isn't on my roll list, he isn't welcome. End of story.
So what do you think? Does this post make me officially going to hell? Most of the kids in my class I like. There are a few exceptions, of course. And one BIG exception with the kid that's not supposed to be there. I think I'm going to post this blog on the door of our classroom and see how parents react.
I think we will be released very very soon.
Thursday, January 15, 2009
The Nursery
Posted by Ali at 4:31 PM
Labels: A funny thing happened, Confessions, Motherhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
AAAAAAAHHHHH! The Nursery calling. I'm not sure how we escaped it but you'd be BRILLIANT to post that on the door but no matter what you do, I doubt anyone ever gets fired from THAT job. DANG. I'd love to post similar things on my own classroom door. What do you do with your own kid?
THAT was awesome! I love those rules. Absolutely love them. I'd post them at our ward too, except I don't have a kid in nursery so I don't care enough. But especially with the sick kids. Kids puking two hours before church with fevers and snot everywhere, but both parents think the world will end if they're not at church so the kid goes. I hate that. Absolutely hate it.
That is so annoying when they bring sick kids to church to spread their lovely germs to all the others. I really can't believe though that they actually PUT them back in nursery for not behaving well in Sunbeams. We are having that exact problems with sunbeams not sitting in their chairs, but you know what we do? We take them in the hallway and make them LEARN to sit in a chair while doing activities with them. Once they learn, we will bring them back to primary. They are never going to learn if they keep being sent to Nursery. That is ridiculous!!!! YOu need to talk to the presidency about that. That is their job, not nurserys!
Totally agree, totally agree! These are not unreasonable rules--like everyone else said, ESPECIALLY the sick kids one. It's not fair to everyone else in the room to bring all those germs in.
Get ready to hate me.
As a former primary president, I soon realized that no one wants the calling in nursery. No one aspires to it. I had 11 people turn down a calling in the nursery (and 7 of them were grandmas).
As a parent of a nursery kid, I am insanely grateful when there are nursery leaders who genuinely love the kids and enjoy their time with them. I like that secure feeling. I also love that I can have those 2 hours to fill my spiritual cup.
You may not feel like you're doing a lot, but you are blessing the lives of people who have those annoying kids ALL the time. Sundays are probably their only time to sit down and concentrate on the gospel without having to dig a fish stick out of the couch.
While I don't condone bringing your sick kid to church, I at least recognize someone who made the effort to come to church. Afterall, isn't it much easier to stay at home and watch TV? (They really should sit in the back of Sacrament meeting and then leave, though).
Lurkers are probably just overly concerned parents. They are MUCH better than unconcerned parents. And if they're going to sit around, heck! They can help out! Hand 'em the box of Leggos and tell them to start sanitizing.
Anyway, sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear. You probably hate me now, if you didn't already.
I am pretty sure the sick-kid thing is in the general handbook, so I wouldn't feel bad enforcing it. Although I would give some leniency with the "acting irritable" symptom. That's actual on the list of reasons not to take your kid to nursery. I don't know ANY kid (well, at least any kid that came from MY womb) that isn't at least a tad bit irritable after being forced to sit through an hour-long sacrament meeting.
I never understood the lurker-parent, and I actually always felt *bad* that I would just drop Logan off at nursery and head to my class. Wasn't I supposed to hang around and "make sure my kid was okay" (i.e., chat with the nursery leader and the other moms) for twenty minutes before roaming the hall for twenty minutes until Relief Society starts? Okay, that sounds snarky, but I'm being serious here -- since ALL the other moms in my ward were doing I HONESTLY believed that the nursery leader thought I was anti-social for going to Gospel Doctrine. (Well, I was a bit antisocial, but that's beside the point.) And the other week when I dropped Josh off, I missed Sunday School again; the nursery leader was pushing me to stay in case he needed something (he didn't).
Anyway, I also agree with what Reagan says, and I'm sure glad for good nursery leaders. Joshua recently hit the eighteen-month milestone and church is a whole new experience for me again. So on behalf of moms of nursery-aged kids, thank-you, Alicia (and Marcelo).
I completely agree with you Reagan. I don't think anybody looks at it as free babysitting, as much as they look at it as "We can ALL be happy and where we want to be now!" Although I do admit, I often look forward to those two hours on Sunday.....sometimes it's the ONLY time I get to myself in a week.
Regarding the "lurkers" I think the best thing is to let parents know that it seems to work best when they just leave promptly and assure them you will come get them if you need them. Why explain this to them? Because not all nursery workers have that point of view, and some are actually irritated if you don't somehow "KNOW" that your kid has been arcing out in there for 30 plus minutes.
While I agree sick kids shouldn't be in nursery, if you rule out any kid with a runny nose.....you won't have anybody attending nursery or primary in the winter time. EVERY kid has a runny nose in the winter, it just goes with the territory. Colds are colds and putting your life on hold for them is silly. Truly sick with fever, diarrhea, infection, green mucus, etc, I agree, keep them at home.
When all is said and done.....I think it tends to be a thankless job. But then again, aren't most in the Church? I know that I appreciate our nursery workers and tell them weekly. Nothing makes me happier than to see them get excited and welcome Logan when he walks in the door. Do people envy your calling? Probably not, but then again.....it beats Gospel Doctrine...right?
Hang in there!
Post a Comment