I know that I have gushed about my TiVo on more than one occasion. It makes me so happy when it find shows for me that I end up loving. That's how I found "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and "South Sydney Story." But Marcelo and my new favorite is "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" on the Travel Channel.
Tony (we are on a first name basis these days) goes to different places all over the world and tries the local cuisine and talks to the people and just generally has a good time. He's mot afraid to eat or drink anything and he gets to try some of the best foods from all over the world.
And I think he just found my personal favorite. It's called poutine and it's from Quebec, Canada. Let me just lay this out for you: A bed of fries, covered with cheese curds. That would be enough for me right there. But then they put GRAVY on the top. Tony when he heard about this he was like "oh, wow, that does NOT sound good" and I actually said out loud back to the TV: YES IT DOES. Here is a picture of this lovely delicacy.
Lets start with the fries. They don't look like regular American fries. I'm imagining that they are extra crispy because they have a coating on them. Or that they are cooked extra long so they are not soggy at all but are kinda borderline burnt. Fries will ALWAYS be my go-to comfort food. I seriously have to stay away from them if I want to lose weight.
Next. The cheese curds. Is there anything more delicious than a nice melty cheese curd on top a crispy fry? Or just a cheese curd independent? Cold right from the fridge, they sqeak on your teeth and have a good substantial bite to them. BYU has GREAT cheese curds. They are the squeakiest curds I have ever come upon in my life. And believe you me, I have eaten my share of curds.
And finally, the gravy. This looks like special "Quebec" gravy. Not as fatty as traditional American gravy. I imagine that it's really just slightly thicker Au Juis sauce and it has a nice salty flavor but not the greasy film that clings to the top of your mouth. It melts the curds and makes it very nice to pick up a curd, fry and sauce all together.
Sadly, I am not French Canadian. Nor do I think I will ever go to Quebec. So then, how will I ever try this food that so obviously has been made from Satan's loins because the thought of it makes my skin bubble up in joy?
I need to try this "poutine"!! Does anyone know where I can find it?
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Poutine
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
WOW! That looks good!
Blech! Squeaky cheese, not a good thing.
This is our favorite show lately too!!!!!!! We want to go to the Azores, and Brian even wants to go to Egypt, thanks to Tony!!!!
OOOOO! How could this NOT be good? Don't people happily put cheese and gravy on mashed potatoes? Same thing, no?
Basically, anything with fries could be good. I am with you on the french fry addict thing. I am there, my friend.
Hey--remember that time when your sister left a bunch of squeaky cheese in our fridge in Heritage Halls, and you thought she left it for you and happily ate it, only to find out that she was keeping it for herself? Yeah, those were good times.
Post a Comment