As I previously told ya'll, I've been reading a lot these days. Here are the reviews of the books I've read recently:
Candyfreak: A Journey through the Chocolate Underbelly of America by Steve Almond
My review
rating: 4 of 5 stars
Do you ever watch "Unwrapped" on Food Network? This book is like a mini version of that show. The author takes you through several candy factories throughout America all the while talking about his own love of candy and what it means to him on a personal level. He's one of my favorite authors, so I really like his writing style and he continues it on here.
I like how he talks about how small candy producers are dying and the "big three" are taking over. (Hershey's, Nestle and Mars) And how he wishes that everyone loved candy as much as he does so that he can always be assured that his favorite candy bars are around forever.
If you (like me) are a candy FREAK, you will see WAAAAY too much of yourself in his writings.And that's what the purpose of this book was: for the author to discover if he was alone in his candy freaky-ness or if others were just as crazy as he. Turns out, lots are.
This book was fun, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to know a little about the history of candy and candy making in America. Or if they just love candy.
View all my reviews.
The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls
My review
rating: 4 of 5 stars
Wow. That's all I can say. I don't know if you know anything about this book, but it's the memoir of Jeannette Walls and her family as they lived and learned about life growing up penniless and homeless most of the time. The book kind of angered me, because it seemed like no one ever called their parent on their crap. They never said, "Hey, you are horrible people, you need to get it together or you will lose your kids." They eventually do lose their kids, but not in the way you are thinking.
Some of the things that happen in this book are horrific. Jeannette being on fire, the father's alcoholism, their home in West Virginia and the fact that abuse is all around them waiting to pounce. However, the kids in this book are brilliant and it's easy to see why they are gong to "make it" in the world. For such a horrible person, their father really did teach them what they would need to survive. By doing it he both exposed them to danger at every turn, and also gave them the resources they needed to save themselves.
And the kid love their parents. STILL!! They are easily duped by them, and they put up with them so they must love them. And they do put up with a lot. I think this book was a way for Jeannette and her siblings to release their demons. And she does in a matter of fact way that is so amazing. Like she just puts it out there and is like "This is what happened. It is what it is." I don't think I could be that reserved and calm when going back and reliving all the things that had happened to me in a horrible childhood like hers.
This was a quick read. 1 day for me. I would recommend it to anyone.
View all my reviews.
The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer
My review
rating: 4 of 5 stars
I actually liked this book more then I thought I would. I thought I would be dragging through it hating the fact that I picked it up because now I have to finish it. But I really did like it.
I liked how there was lots of talk about us as humans and what we do to each other and are we better off being FORCED to live a certain way. In that way, it seems like the author was exploring the idea of what would've happened if Lucifer had his way. Yes everything would've been "great" but we would've just been shells of ourselves, never achieving the potential we are capable of.
Did I like the way it ended? I'm not sure yet. I think I did, but then again sometimes when I think back on it, it was a little too "happily ever after" for me. Very Disney ending. Sort of.
I was very surprised at how much I liked this book. I think that Stephanie Meyer gets a lot of crap for writing "fluff" books, but I really admire her ability to have a story and then translate that story into a great book. She really is talented at what she does.
View all my reviews.
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
My review
rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book was really good. And REALLY sad at the same time. My mom had her first baby right around the time this book starts, and she's told me a lot about that experience. So I can understand the mentality of the doctor to try to get rid of his second baby as soon as she's born. My mom was not a fan of 1960's medicine and baby practices, and so when she had her second, she swore it would be different. And it was.
But this book was so happy and sad at the same time. And I think what it was trying to tell us is that your life and the lives of people around you can be altered and changed forever in just one second, with just one decision. So what I got from it was that I need to slow down and make my decisions be better.
But I really noticed how the little girl in this book was loved by so many. Once thought to be put away, shoved aside to make room for the "better good" of everyone, in the end she gets the most love from all.
View all my reviews.
The Shack by William P. Young
My review
rating: 1 of 5 stars
I stopped reading about page 100. I figure if I'm going to read about God, I would rather read something from my own religion, or at least something that's true. Rather then some fictionalized experience dreamed up by an author.
If you did read through it all and think I should finish, please let me know why.
View all my reviews.
So that's it. I'm still reading other things and I'll let you know how they go too. . . as if you even cared.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Reading Roundup
Posted by Ali at 10:32 AM
Labels: Book Review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Wasn't the Glass Castle unbelievable!? It was so frustrating at times, I don't know how those kids survived! I loved the The Memory Keeper's Daughter, however that was very frustrating too. Then the Shack, I am currently reading that and it was about page 100 where they introduce God, JEsus and the Holy Ghost and it is really strange how they do it, but as I kept reading (I only have about 40 pages to go), it does say some good things. For instance, you know how if bad things happen the world seems to blame it on God and says He doesn't care otherwise he wouldn't let bad things happen? That always bugs the crap out of me when that is said, but the book explains it really well on why that isn't true. I would love for you to finish and call me and tell me what you think. It is totally weird how God and Jesus are joking around a lot or just that God is a woman, but I have to really try and look past that. So if you do decide to finish call me.
I am so glad you did this post. I have been looking for books to read, since I am just staying at home now. I definitely wanna check out the candy book, I love Unwrapped and candy. And, on the nursery thing, I think you are EXACTLY what the nursery needs! You should be the general nursery leader or something! Nate and I had to sub for nursery and I hated how parents stayed in there with their kids, who were perfectly happy. It made me feel like I was being watched the whole time, and I felt like they were judging everything I did. So annoying! And I hate when people bring sick kids to church, or come when they themselves are sick. I used to be one of those people that felt like I should suck it up and just go to church if I was sick, but having a dad with basically no immune system has completely changed my perspective. If you go when you are sick, your germs can easily spread to elderly people or people like my dad who don't have good health, and it won't just be a cold for them like it was for you, it can do serious damage and put them out of commission for weeks. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. But seriously, I think they should fly you all over the country to straighten out nursery everywhere!
Hey, *I CARE* about what you're reading! Keep reviewing the books you read, 'cause I love seeing what other people are reading.
I've heard of a lot of these, but only have read The Host. I thought the ending was a big copout -- I like happy endings but not to the point of being wrapped up so neat-and-tidy -- and I sure thought it was a long book for not that long of a story. But maybe you've read my review and know what I think already. ;-) (All that said, I *did* like the book. But I felt it had so much more potential!)
OOohhh, a nice long list of books to try right before I go off-track. PERFECT! Thanks--especially for the ones to get me out of my children/teen novel rut. Although, I suppose the Host qualifies somewhat and I did get that one for Christmas. I'm glad that it's worth reading.
Can't wait to hear about the rest of your reading!
OOOO the candy one sounds good. I have the Host, too so I'll have to start that one.
Oh and just wanted to say something about the post script nursery thing.
Not to sound beyootchy, but I think you and Lynn will understand more once you have a kid in nursery.
I LOVED The Memory Keeper's Daughter!!! I cried, laughed, cried some more and just loved it- so sad but so beautiful at the same time.
Post a Comment