CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'll make a Dill with you


Last Sunday, when I was festering in my anger from in my nursery classroom, I overheard a lurking parent say the following, "I'll make a dill with you. . ." A dill? How do you make a dill with someone? A dill pickle? or a dill like "your kid is being a total dill today"? That kind of dill?

And then she continued on: "I'll make a dill with you, You stay here and play games and I'll read you 3 stories when I get home." It then hit me that she was going to make a DEAL with her child.

And then on the radio, I heard they were advertising some sort of cheap airline trip that you could take with the hosts of the show. They said, "This is a great dill, so you won't want to miss out". Again I had to stop and think about why they would say "this is a great dill." I thought those TV and radio people were supposed to be trained to make sure they got rid of most of their accents. Oh well, I just laughed and moved on.

I still haven't gotten over the strange accent I hear around here. The funny thing is that I'll catch myself saying fill instead of feel and I'll stop, go back and correct myself. So I'm aware of it, and yet I still do it myself.

Eric Snider found this funny story about this same thing that happened right here in Utah. You can find it here. Go read it. it's short. I'll wait for you here. Isn't that funny? I told my mom that story and she laughed right out loud.

Anyway, so as to be an equal employing mocker, I'm going to tell a funny story about Marcelo. On Sunday I told him that I nursed Evi to sleep, but I was worried she wouldn't stay asleep. And he said, "Oh, she didn't Furbp?" I said, what did you just say? Say that word again. And he said, "Furbp". Ohh, the hilarity. Obviously he was trying to say BURP, but the past 4 and a half years he's heard me say it, he thought I was always sayin furbp. I do love my husband

5 comments:

Mindalynn said...

Ah, Utah-isms. I still remember one time when I spent like 15 minutes trying to explain to my native-Utahn roommate Emily the difference between "sale" and "sell." To her, there was no difference. That Eric Snider story really takes the cake, though!

Beth said...

That Eric D. Snider thing IS funny. Oh, Utah!

Amy said...

Okay, the sad thing is--I didn't even get past your title before I TOTALLY KNEW WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT? What IS the DILL with these Utahns?!?!?!

Love the Sniderman!

Reggs said...

Yah seriously, what the hill is wrong with those people?

Our Family said...

HEY!!! Okay. Let's just get this out of the way first. I'm SO sorry that I'm such a flake. There I said it. Whew. I feel SOOOOOO much better now!

I got your e-mail about loving the little gap outfit and it was TOP on my list to go to your site and tell you how happy I was that you loved it and that that was EXACTLY The reason I didn't want to sell it to some stupid lady for $2. I wanted the recipient to LOVE it like I would have if I ever had the chance to put it on a baby girl. Sigh. .... Where was I? OH yes. So that is why I'm a flake. And I'm so sorry.

I LOVE your blog! I'm adding it to my reader now so that I won't miss any more posts!

And I loved this post BTW. HILARIOUS! The one I can't stand is Q-pon. It's KOO-pon people. There is NO Q in coupon!!! GRR.