To all of you that gave me blowout cleanup & sleeping advice. Honestly, I think sometimes I'm doing great, and then my little girls' umbilical cord stump starts bleeding and I start freaking out. I pulled off her outfit yesterday and on the inside was some bloody spots. Let the freaking out commence.
I've heard that I can use some rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip to clean her, but I'm afraid it will hurt her. As of right now, the dry stump top has fallen off, but underneath is a yellow mucus looking goo. And I might be just over-reacting about this, but I think it smells funny. Anyway, I have a band-aid on it to keep the top of the diaper and her clothes from irritating it and to keep blood spots from transferring to her clothes. But I'm just really nervous about it.
As for the sleep advice, really, thank you all so much. Last night was her "worst" night. And by worst night, I mean that it took her a few hours to go to sleep. (Once she finally did, she slept for long blocks of time, but it took her a while to get there.) Again, I can't complain, because she DOES sleep for long blocks of time. But we tried to get her to go to bed at 11:30 pm, and she didn't go until 3:30 am. Marcelo came in from the other room and was like "What is going on?!?! What is the matter with her?" And I was like "I don't know, let me ask her . . . oh wait, I don't speak baby!!!"
He was really great and stayed up with me and took turns bouncing her and walking with her so I could rest. We think it was a combo of her umbilical cord bothering her and gas/burping issues. But eventually she calmed down and ate a bunch, and then fell asleep on my chest. And then she slept until 7:30 am. When she ate some more, and fell back asleep until 11:30 am. I really have nothing to complain about.
Anyway, I just appreciate Marcelo so much. He's totally and completely unfamiliar with all of this, but he's so great about trying new things. He'll dance around with her and sing to her so that she'll calm down. And yesterday he changed his first diaper. (Don't come down on him for the diaper thing!! The poor guy needed my help every step of the way! He almost put it on backwards and inside out!) Anyway, I really appreciate his willingness to try new things.
Finally, I am in SO MUCH BREAST PAIN!! Not the nipples. The nipples are great. I could set fire to my nipples and I wouldn't be distracted from the general PAIN in my engorged boobs. And my milk has the smell and consistency of melted vanilla ice cream. Fatty & sticky all at the same time. What does it taste like? I don't know, and I think you are disgusting and crass for even asking. But it's definitely sticky. Sticky all over, and it curdles/turns sour within minutes of being outside my body.
So what does that mean for me? Well, it mostly means that all my shirts have stiff circles of dried milk on them, and I constantly smell like sour milk. All my bras smell like sour milk, and night time is the WORST time. I'm half asleep, and I'll wake up in a milk puddle of my own doing. My poor sheets: They'll be threadbare from all the washings in just a few months.
Anyway, This blog is about how much I appreciate all the comments and support from you people who read my mindless ramblings. I know that I can turn to you for advice and I'll get fast and effective suggestions. So, what are your thoughts on this umbilical cord situation?
P.S. I also appreciate that my readers are honest and when they took the poll they voted that my child was scary looking at first. I KNOW THIS!! I'M NOT BLIND!! Thank you again for your honesty. I know I can always turn to you for the truth.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Thank you, Thank you!
Posted by Ali at 5:35 PM
Labels: Boobs, Evelyn, Motherhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
My doctor's advice was always to do nothing regarding the umbilical stump (that swabbing with alcohol was okay, but unnecessary) and it will come off on its own (took two or three weeks at least). That's what I did and never had any problems; it had basically healed underneath by the time the stump fell off.
I have heard that odor might be a sign of infection, though; you could call your doctor (or the nurse-line at your pediatrician's office; that's what I've got set up) to double-check (or maybe another of your readers would know better).
I recall many nights where you think the baby should go to bed at a certain time and the baby is up WAY WAY later than that -- for no apparent reason, really. At this young I'm sure she doesn't know the difference between night and day yet -- hopefully soon she'll get it straightened out! Glad she's sleeping in long stretches at least.
And sorry about the sour milk smell! You seem to have it WAY worse than I ever did, but I can commiserate somewhat (especially since the milk would be spit-up on me later. Ew! I finally understood why moms would "let themselves go" and only wear their husband's old t-shirts). (That and who can fit into anything cute the first postpartum months, anyway??)
I knew Marcelo would dance with her! That is SOOOOOO cute! I can totally picture it.
Hey, maybe if I don't make enough milk for my babies - I can buy some of yours!! WIN WIN, right?
Don't worry about this stuff! You are doing great. It's funny to hear how stressed you get over this stuff - because you are one of the most CHILL people I know.
Keep enjoying your little cutie! And I was being honest in your poll. I really think she was FRIGGIN beautiful from the beginning. Yes, I too have hairy babies, maybe I just prefer hairy babies now.
Anyway, glad everything is going wonderfully. I'm more miserable by the day. Can't wait to not be prego.
I just saw your comment on our blog so I had to come check out your new baby girl. She's so cute!! (blowouts and all). Congratulations to you and Marcelo. I made a link to your blog from our blog so now I can peek at your blog whenever I want. Congratulations again!!
I think that you are doing a FABULOUS job! Hang in there kiddo, it seems like it will last forever but it won't. Before you know it your two oldest will be on a plane all by themselves. Ohhh wait, that's happening to ME!
Glad to hear that Marcello is getting in the game. When are you going to go to a movie with Lisa and Reagz. Make sure you get out without the baby and recover. Not bad advice for a guy no?
Deep breath! You're doing great. Re: the cord, we never did anything - we did get the occasional blood on the outfit like you are describing. I would call the doc just to give you some peace of mind. The smell could mean something - and maybe you don't want the bandaid on there - it might heal faster without being covered up. But I'm not positive so maybe a quick call to your ped would ease your mind.
Rats. Everyone gets to leave all the good advice before I can get to your blog. Darn day job. But yeah, basically what Beth and Jen said cover it all. Cord: leave alone. Blood: pretty normal. Smell: call doctor to be sure.
And who could be down on Marcelo? I managed to have my mom change ALL Katelyn's diapers the first 4-5 days of her life. I didn't even touch them. Then I took over and ended up having to do a diapering lesson with Danny. I think that's pretty normal.
That's AWESOME that Marcelo dances with her. I can totally picture that, too.
Sorry about the milk mess. I have no ideas since I didn't encounter that at all. But heh, heh I like Owens idea of BUYING some from you! You probably really could sell it or donate it. That would be pretty cool, either way.
Yep, I agree with the "don't put the band-aid on" thoery. You need that gunk to dry up and it will happen faster without the band aid on it. All this is normal, I promise! Hang in there, you are doing a FANTASTIC job. Your only real job is to love her and make sure she's still alive at the end of the day....see.....you're batting 1000!
make that "theory" not thoery. oops, I really need to proof read before I post.
Hi there, I am friends with Kim Anderson. Anyways, I love your blog. I wish I would have blogged about the "new" things when I had my baby 9 1/2 months ago. More power to you!! You will appreciate it someday and so will your little princess!
I can totally sympathize with you on the breastfeeding deal. I had horrible engorgement for 6 weeks. The only thing that helped me was the sleep bra from motherhood. It was a blessing. It wasn't too tight and it was so comfy. I have 3 of them and I use them all the time. Also, the lansinoh breast pads. love them. still use them. and....corn bags or rice bags. you heat them up and it helps so much. i had a lot of pain after i would feed. the lactation consultant said it was "re-fill" pain. After aroudn 6 weeks, it got better.
Also, you can pump like an ounce or so after you feed to relieve more of the engorgement. that helped me.
If you need any breastfeeding help, I know you don't know me, but we are both mothers and that gives us something in common! Email me at amandahoney1@hotmail.com I would love to give any advice.
Also www.breastfeedingmadesimple.com is a great website!
Good luck! Your little one is precious!
PS-My baby's umbilical cord smelled a little and it stained her clothes. when it fell off, it bled a little. weird stuff. it was all good. the doc just said to keep it clean.
good luck!
More pictures please!
Post a Comment