
The Terrible Twos has arrived at our house. When my child feels like she isn't getting the attention that she deserves, or when her needs aren't met immediately, there is a strong . . . .um. . .how you say. . . REACTION. The word "no" from my mouth is met with this same reaction. When she is displeased, here are a few things you might get:
* kicked
* hit
* scratched
* hair pulled
* ear pulled (if you are a furry friend named Raya)
And finally if no on is around to inflict physical pain upon, you can always hit the computer or throw something. Anything . If you can pick it up with ease, it can be thrown with ease. Telephones, remote controls, iPods, food, drink cups, water bottles. Shall I go on?
Time outs are well known around our house. Sometimes she goes from one time out to the next. I pick her up, explain why she is there, ask for an apology and get a slap in the face. Back in time out she goes. I'm sure our neighbors can hear her through the door (her time out spot is right by the front door) and they think that I either 1) beat my child or 2) like the sound of my child's screams. Or maybe a combo of both. I don't blame them for thinking this.
I realize it's a phase. The fact that she's still not talking I'm sure is adding to her frustration. I know it's adding to mine!! And to answer your questions, yes, she's still meeting with a speech therapist. No, there has not been any development in the language department. Her babbling is getting more advanced, so I have hopes that there will be a breakthrough every day. HOWEVER, we have a new development: In her babbling I've noticed that she thrusts her tongue forward. The speech therapist noticed this and said that she might have to be evaluated again because of this development. Basically, my kid is all kinds of messed up when it comes to talking.
Anyway, I'm not writing this to complain or ask for advice. Just to let you know that WWIII is happening at my house with my child. And so if I come to visit you and put my child in time out the whole time I am there you will know what is going on. At least I'm not slapping her back. . .yet.
P.S. I'm watching "Lady and the Tramp" with my daughter today. It's been years since I've seen it. Have you seen it recently? Are you as shocked as I am by the horribly offensive and overtly racist "Siamese Cats" and their song? Why not just give them buck teeth and put rice patty hats on them? Seriously!! Ahhh, the 1950's. Such innocence. Such naivete. Such blatant racism.
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
It Has Arrived
Posted by Ali at 7:43 AM
Labels: Evelyn, Motherhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ugh! I have to keep telling myself that it's just a phase. Although, if it's the terrible two's then why does it start so early!?!?
I haven't seen Lady and the Tramp forever. Then again, I'm not much of an animal person so I was never really a fan...
you know i hear you. especially about the face-slapping at the end of time out/beginning of new time out. i've almost had to call CPS on myself a few times just to protect my child from me! no, i would never harm my baby, i just know where you are right now (which is probably at the time-out spot, getting b-slapped). i love you. i'm not sure if the terrible twos ever really end, but you can call me and we'll comiserate!
The whole 1-3 year age range seems really scary to me when I think about being a mother. I have no idea how I would/will handle that!
I hear you on the racist 50's (and 60's and...). Have you ever seen Thoroughly Modern Millie? It's a fun movie in lots of ways, but GEEZ! The way they portray the Chinese people (who, of course, are the villains) is so offensive.
Don't you love that strong-willed girl!
Post a Comment