CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Friends in all Places

The older I get, the more I realize what I like in a person as a friend. And I also have started to notice what I don't like in a person. Due to this, I have started to see some of the same traits appearing in my friends over and over again. This is a partial list of traits that most of my friends (and all of my closest friends) have. Do you have them? Then you are probably my friend. And on the flip side of this you can ask yourself "am I her friend? Then I probably have most of these qualities"

1. Smart. I think this would have to be my #1 trait I have found in my closets friends. I don't know why? Did it start in Elementary school in the ALP program (Can I get a "WHAT WHAT!!" for ALP, my peeps?) when I was segregated from my other classes and put with other smart kids for several hours a day? Or did it happen in Junior High when I changed schools right before the 8th grade and found a new best friend with the eventual valedictorian of all North Coast schools? Or did it happen when I chose to live with other kids on the Honors Graduation track at BYU in the dorms? (Not that even half of us graduated with Honors. I think Mindy is the only on that I know of that actually did it).

I don't say these things to be like "OHHH, look at me! I was in smart people classes." I actually don't think that highly of myself. I just say it to point out that at a very young age I was surrounded by smart people. And people MUCH MUCH smarter than myself so I always felt like I had lots to reach for. I was never EVER the smartest person in the room, so PLEASE don't think that I'm tooting my "smartness" horn. There is no horn. Not even a bike ding-a-ling bell.

But I have come to notice that ignorance and low intelligence is not a trait that I desire to be around. Which is not to say that I don't love a little slapstick comedy or a good fart joke. But people who I can't look up and who don't make me try to be a better person? I have no use for you. Sorry if that makes me sound like a people user. I just want to be with smart people. People who correct my English, instead of me mentally correcting theirs. So you people out there, people who read my blog and correct my English and are my friends? You are all exceptionally smart. Except for you, Mindy. PhD candidate, Physics, math and music degrees graduated with honors? Paa-shawww. You are lame. LAAAAME. Seriously, get some initiative girl. You embarrass me. Kidding of course. Which brings me to . . .

2. Funny, or at least willing to laugh at my jokes. , I'm only funny 50% of the time. And most of that time is because I'm doing a bit that I stole from someone else. I spend excessive time laughing at myself and my ridiculousness. I really think a lot of the time that I'm the only one laughing at my jokes, so it really surprises me when someone else thinks I'm funny. And I like that person right away. Because it's no fun laughing at yourself. . . ALONE I can't tell you how many times I've said to Mar "NOW COME ON!!! THAT WAS FUNNY!!!" And he only agrees with me 17-19% of the time

3. A good conversationalist. I like someone I can talk to. This must go along with the intelligence thing, but I like a good conversation. And a fun conversation. And I realize that I talk A LOT. I really do realize it. So I like a person to be willing to let me blab on and on for a while. I'll let you have your turn too, but sometimes a girl's just got to talk.

Also, what is your conversation about? Tell me about a good book you just read, or something that you know about. Like Australia or the time your family lived in Maine for 3 years. Don't talk to me about shoes, or any other fashion/article of clothing. Please don't talk to me about getting your nails done or how you "deserve" to get something. Blecch. But other topics are fine. Your child's bowel movements? Bring it on! An awesome mission story? I'm ready and waiting. The embarrassing date you went on in high school/college? Do it up! That's the kind of stuff I can sit around and listen to for hours. Which brings me to the final item:

4. Returned Missionaries. This isn't a blanket statement. Which is to say that if you are a RM, I don't instantly like you. Nor is it true that if you aren't an RM, we have nothing to say to each other. But I have come to notice that my closest friend are RMs. And the women that I naturally relate to the most in my ward are RMs. And the sites that I blog-stalk? Those that I love the most are written by RMs.

On a side note, I just had to unsubscribe to a blog that I found especially annoying. Written by a Utah dwelling non-RM, who lauded the fact that she wasn't one and that she was so much better than everyone else because she chose education above a mission. I almost left a nasty comment on the way out, but I figured she wasn't worth my time. Blog. . . DELETED!! Why did I hang around there so long? Well, because I enjoyed reading her words and secretly judging and making fun of her. But I decided that wasn't good for me and my pride level, so I just deleted it all together.

But back to being an RM. I don't know. I think it's because missions form you in a way that marriage and school and a normal 18 months or 2 years of life could never do. Again, I don't think I'm better than you because I served and you didn't. Some of my closest friends and family members didn't serve missions. But in a friend, when you find out that someone served a mission, it turns a little switch on in my brain that says, "no wonder this person is cool! I think we are going to get along JUUUUUST FIIIINNNEE!"

Ok, so that's my rant for the day. I need to go and prepare lunch for the Bibbers.

And to answer your question, no, she still doesn't talk. Little thing is doing it now just to piss me off. I know it. Dang girl is too smart for her own good.

Have a good day. And my fellow RMs? Do you remember THIISSSSS??


Do you have a similar one? I know you you!

P.S. I don't know the person in the picture. I found it online. So don't think I sneaked into the boy's dorms to get this picture. That would just be scary. What with all the "Tree of Life" stories. Yuck.

7 comments:

Amy said...

That's funny about having "smart" friends. That's who I seemed to be friends with too and I don't think of myself as smart at all! Then again, when you come from a town where over 60% of the population works for a lab and have Masters or Ph.Ds, you can't help being around a lot of smart people...

As for funny--how I do miss my nightly tears at the dinner table from laughing so hard at CERTAIN roommates...

Another quality most of my friends have is true-blue loyalty. I want nothing to do with all that complicated back-stabbing cattiness that some people deal with in friendships. If there's even a hint of any of that I'm outta there.

Aww, they didn't have that cool photo op place in the Brazilian MTC. Instead, we spent our free time walking the streets of Sao Paulo eating peanut butter logs doused in Nutella, swinging from vine-iforous trees, or riding in the laundry carts.

anderson.fam said...

I hear the tree-of-life is no more in the boy's dorms. Chris said it was no big deal showering like that. I listed around 135 reasons why it was bad and why they were probably removed!

Great list.

I love your blog. It brightens my day!

Lynn said...

So, in your list of good conversation topics, you did not list trashy reality tv shows. And I am not an RM. So I may not have made the friend cut. But guess what? I'm going to keep reading your blog anyway because it's hilarious. And I may or may not check about 5 times a day to see if you have updated. So there. You can't do anything about that. Except maybe go private. But please don't, because then I would have nothing to look at on my computer during America's Next Top Model.

Beth said...

Uh-oh; now I'm wondering if I made the friend-cut, too. But I did laugh at several things of yours in this blog post alone: "17-19%", for instance, and also the phrase "do it up," which is funny even though I can't tell why. So maybe that counts toward funny-points.

Also, I have never once felt like I "deserved" to get my nails done (what's up with that??). So we should still be able to get along, right??

(And Amy reminded me of so many GOOD TIMES, watching her laugh so hard it made her cry in the midst of dinner. Yes, good times.)

Lisa said...

I like all the traits you listed. I am not a RM, but I think IRL you and I would be great friends.

hil said...

i've got you on 2 and 4, sucka! not b/c i'm funny, but because i've never laughed so hard, so much with anyone in my life. and in 3 short months and comps, too. ooh, that lauding not being an rm thing made me so, so mad. like, yeah, you can finish college any time you want, but a mission is a short window and you'll never get it back, jack-ass. so we don't trash on you for not being an rm so don't trash on us for being rm's. plus, it is very psychological, like, why are you thinking so much about it that you had to justify yourself? lame. anyway, looks like i'm slipping off into a rant. and don't sell yourself short hija. you are SO freaking smart. i'm not sure i've ever known anyone smarter than you. i mean, you are the only person who says "badly." the rest of us don't even think to add the "ly." and never go toe-to-toe with you in a scripture chase because you will take anyone down to chinatown. you are amazing. i'm remember what first brought you and i together. we were in our apartment in carapungo and had just become comps. then we started talking about how our moms dance in old navy. you demonstrated the dance and it was exactly right! i fell in love with you (platonically, of course, don't get uncomfortable) in that very moment. and then with the dry-erase on the kitchen walls. and the curiously shaped fruit on the tiles. oh, the good times. did you know Fito is getting remarried?

Mindalynn said...

Getting a Ph.D. IS lame, you are absolutely right. I mean, who else is THIRTY and still a student? LAME. I actually used to think I was smart until I started grad school. And honestly, I feel dumb as rocks most of the time now...SO, that is just to help you feel better about your life decisions not including a Ph.D., in case you needed any help with that.

Anyways, (can I still be your friend if I use the word anyways instead of anyway?),I agree with Judd--you are incredibly smart, which is why your brain likes to hear new, interesting things from other people (as long as those can include "...and then, I felt dumb" stories, then I'm in luck!) and can also think up such funny, interesting things to say all the time! And remember how you can read like about 4 times faster than I can? And remember intricate little details of things that happened 10 or 20 years ago? That things are definite signs of a well-developed noggin.