CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Still here


I have been told that I need to update my blog daily because people are worried that I'm in the hospital. I just want you to know that I'm not. But I have updates on my medical condition: It's perfect.

So I went to the doctor yesterday and he takes one look at me and says, "You did something different with your hair!" And I said, "No, I just actually DID my hair today." I've made a bargain with myself, I told myself that after I left my job, I wouldn't have any excuse not to do my hair and makeup every day. While I still don't wash my hair everyday, I do style it. ANNND I do put on makeup every day. My OB only sees me when I'm nasty and scraggly, and this was the first time I actually was well put together.

Anyway, so he tells me that my urine tests came back good. He said that preeclampsia is characterized by high blood pressure AND protein in the urine. And there is no elevated protein in my urine. He said it needs to be over 3oo to make him worried, and mine was 130. So he said that he wanted me to do another Non Stress Test (NST) the next day and he would take a look at the results.

He said again, that a good case could be made to induce me early. He asked me if I wanted to do it today, then he would put some cervical creme on me, and then 12 hours later (Wednesday morning) he would start the induction with pitocin. And I declined. I told him that I was doing fine, and that I wanted to give myself another week. I said that I wanted to come back the Tuesday after Memorial Day and see where we were then.

I know tons of people think that I'm crazy, but the truth is that I'm perfectly happy waiting for this baby to come. Also, I'm loving my week of freedom and fun times with Reagan and Lisa. This is what I've been waiting for! I mean, I know that I'm selfish in this, but I know that once the baby comes, I'm going to be hurting all over, especially in the crotchal region. And I'll have a baby screaming, crying, trying to latch on to my flat-nippled-boob. Am I crazy to try to avoid that for as long as possible?

Also, I know I've posted about this earlier, but I want to see how far I can go without an epidural. I want to see if I can go natural, and I KNOW that I won't be able to do it natural with pitocin. Actually, if I do use pitocin, I know that I'm not going to even try to wait it out: I'm going to get the epidural ASAP. I've been told that pitocin contractions are worse than natural contractions and that you are praying for sweet relief that only an epidural can bring after just a few of those contractions.

Don't blame me if that idea doesn't woo me like it does you. I would rather keep my original game plan: Have the baby come when it wants to come. I know that this plan will have to be modified come June 2nd when the baby hasn't arrived yet and they have to induce me. But until then, I'm letting it do it's own thing and I'm enjoying my time hanging out and doing my own thing.

But the doctor told me that this could be instantly changed if my health becomes a problem. That is why he ordered me to do the NST today. He has a really nice set up where he can monitor my test as it's going on. So I get hooked up and after about 90 minutes, the nurse comes in and says, "They are sending you home. You look great. The doctor is DELIGHTED with your results!" That was it for me!! I was out of there lickity split!!

So, I'm still here. Loving being pregnant (don't hate me for saying that) and looking forward to my baby coming at it's own time. In the meantime, I'll keep you all posted.

4 comments:

anderson.fam said...

Good for you. My body sucks at going into labor, I've needed help twice, and I have gigantic babies. My doctor out here looked at my chart from baby #1 and told me he wouldn't let me go through THAT again. Well, I was induced a week and a half before my due date and baby #2 weighed 3 oz more than #1. I knew it was time for her to come out. My whole pregnancy I felt my due date was wrong. My doctor said, "you're the boss." It was nice.
I personally hate being pregnant, and I'm too anxious to see what the baby is going to look like that I just want it out!
With #1, I was put on pitocin and then told I could have an epidural whenever. Since it was nearly midnight, I was exhausted and they gave it to me right away. So I really didn't get a "labor" experience. With #2 I opted to feel the contractions. They hurt. I proudly lasted nearly 9 hours out of 13 of total labor before the epi (I told you I suck at having babies).
Live it up sister!
Oh yeah, I meant to ask: Do you like hearing other peoples' labor and deliver stories?

Lynn said...

I am soooo glad people told you to update more often. I kept wondering if you had had the baby, and would want to call or text, and then Nate would be like, hello, if she is having/had the baby, she doesn't want to talk to you, so I just kept waiting. And I am GLAD you are enjoying your little vacation! Hopefully, you are eating lots of Oreo cakesters, corn dogs, and cheetos with a spoon!

Beth said...

YES, you should update your blog more often! I was thinking of you for the past few days and had just decided I needed to e-mail you.

So glad you are healthy and baby's doing fine and you don't have to be on bedrest or whatever.

And I also understand the feeling of preferring pregnancy over actually having the baby. Babies are cute and all but those first days (who am I kidding, weeks) postpartum aren't particularly fun (no sleep, pain, breastfeeding issues). Pregnancy was always much, much, much easier for me. (The good news: having an OLDER baby and having recovered from pregnancy issues are easier than both times!) :-)

Anyway -- live it up! :-D

Amy said...

I think you are *brilliant* for wanting to wait until that baby is ready to come out his or herself. Live up these last days of freedom and lack of constant relentless responsibility! (It sounds like you are already doing a great job of that). You sound way more prepared for the aftermath of giving birth than I was. Had I known better I definitely would have put off giving birth as long as possible. (Not that I don't love having a kid but you spelled out all my same feelings in your post.) I loved being pregnant too but I didn't love the pressure of having my mom in town living in our one-bedroom apartment, just waiting for the baby to come--so I thought I was ready for that pitocin. If I did it over, I would have waited and dealt with the cramped living style if only for a few more hours of SLEEP!