I hate my insurance. They are all tools. Apparently a BP off the charts, SEVERE pitting edema (those are the NURSE'S notes for my file. I actually saw her type in that phrase), Vomiting, headaches and the fact that I'm seeing SPOTS every once in a while doesn't mean jack squat if you have IHC insurance.
Lisa and Reagan's OB is awesome and Lisa asked him, "at what BP would you induce a woman that is 39 weeks?" He said what was her BP? and Lisa told him 168/106. He said, "AND SHE DOESN'T HAVE A BABY RIGHT NOW?!?!? Find out her insurance, if she has ANY other insurance besides IHC, I can deliver her today." This is a man I have never met and he said this on his DAY OFF! I would've loved to tell him yes.
When I left Wednesday, they told me to come back IMMEDIATELY if I had any of the following symptoms: Constant/persistent headaches, burred vision/spotty vision and sudden swelling. So on Thursday when I started vomiting and the headache was all day, and I was getting spots every once in a while, I went in. WEEELLL, they are lying mother f-ers.
Sorry about that, I was REALLY mad. After ANOTHER NST and BP check, they told me that they won't do anything until they get back my 24 hour urine test. They said that all these symptoms *could* be just normal pregnancy symptoms (Yeah, a BP that high in a person that usually is 118/78 is VERRRRY normal, A-holes) so they won't do anything till there is a MEDICAL reason to do it. MEDICAL?? Maybe I'm crazy, but a BP off the charts seems pretty dang MEDICAL to me. But what do I know? I'm obviously not an insurance company, who apparently gets to make all the rules.
So I ask the nurse, "so if my labs come back normal, you won't induce me until 41 weeks? You'll just make me stay on my couch for 2 weeks with a jacked up BP "just in case" and you won't do something to actually SOLVE the BP problem?" And she says. . . . YES. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????
Did I mention how pissed I am? So I'm not playing anymore. Screw this "bed rest" crap. I'm living my life as normal. I'm going shopping, hanging out in Draper with Lisa and Reagan and going to enjoy my last week (or weeks) of pregnancy.
The truth is I'm NOT that uncomfortable!! You would think that with all those trips to the hospital and all this pushing to get induced I really want it to just get it over. BUT I REALLY DON'T!! I'm just upset about the whole "we will induce you, no we won't, yes we will, no we won't. Well, maybe we will. Pee in this 1/2 gallon orange jug for 24 hours and then we'll tell you if we are going to induce you or not. Are you trying to make flight arrangements for your best friend to come out here for the birth? Sorry, we are going to be wishy-washy and make sure you can't plan for that."
I'm DONE!! I'm so done with this. I'm having this baby when I want it. If I hear the word "pitocin" one more time out of the mouth of one of those crotchety old nurses, I'm going postal on someone. I'm just going to enjoy my last few weeks, wait for my water to break (or not) and then have this baby MY way. Well, more like I'll have the baby the way IT wants to be born (I've been told that you don't get to make up the mind of your baby. It makes most of the birthing rules.)
But I'm not playing games anymore with the hospital or my insurance. I don't blame my doctor, because I know he's bound by the rules of his practice and IHC (which runs his practice and the hospital I'll be delivering at). But these games are over. Do you know how hard it is to tell your husband that he MIGHT be a father today? But maybe not, so don't come back from working in HEBER early, because I'm not sure! But do keep your phone on you, because maybe a baby today? Yes? No? Blech. Finicky hospitals and bastard insurance, I CURSE you!!
So if anyone wants to hang out with me this week, I'm officially on VACATION and I'm going to eat all the Oreo shakes and fries I can stomach. LIVIN' IT UP, BABY!!
Oh, P.S. my mom bought us a car seat. I set it up today and showed Marcelo how it works. He was fiddling around with it for a while and he thinks it's really cool. We just need to install it in the car and make sure it's level. But he and I really like the one we picked out and we are now ready to bring this baby home!! Eventually!
See you later, little baby.
Saturday, May 17, 2008
False Alarms & Bad Insurance
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Okay, we were supposed to go to lunch on Thursday, right? I thought you would be giving birth after reading your last post. SO, now....we can go to lunch one last time before you have someone to chase or nurse or change their poop diaper. And I might possibly never leave my house again after my babies are born. So, let's make the most of it, shall we? I'll put up with your whining if you put up with mine. Sound good? Call me!
I enjoyed our fries and oreo shakes today. Too bad they don't sell pitocin at Wal-Mart, we could get this baby here NOW! and this week is perfect for you because you can celebrate "no more work/new baby" WEEK! it is the week of alicia.
Pregnancy agrees with you, Alicia! I think you should do it again, right away!
I too am trying to focus on the good points of this, so I am REALLY looking forward to all of us hanging out this comoing week! Breakfast at Haggerman's Mmmmm, lunch at the greasy spoon of our choice, basking in the sun while the kids run around crazy outside. It's gonna be a good one!
Insurance companies are the devil. I can soooo empathize with your frustrations! Well, okay, not really. I've never had a baby or been pregnant or had severe pitting edema or anything like that. But I DEFINITELY had LOTS of problems with insurance companies in the last three years! It's not just IHC (although it sounds like they may be worse than most)--they are all the devil. So sorry you have to be at their mercy!
that. sucks. but at least you have a positive attitude about it. before you know it you'll be to enjoy a good decent pee now that you don't have to empty your bladder every 20 minutes. and soon your shoes will fit again and you will actually be able to bend over to tie them! and soon you'll be able to drive yourself to get your oreo shake at your own convenience. mmm...oreo shakes...
Post a Comment