CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hoarders

Do you watch the show "Hoarders" on TV? That show really REALLY scares me. Mostly because it's my legacy.

See, my maternal Grandma was a hoarder. A serious kind. The only think that kept her from living with 8 foot walls of trash in her home was my mother. My mother would go over to her house a few times a week and every time she would leave she would pack up a few bags of trash and leave them on the back porch. She couldn't let my grandma actually SEE her take them out of the house, because she would freak out. So she would put them outside, and then say her goodbyes and leave and then sneak around to the back and pick them up. It was just necessary.

Of course, things were much worse before we moved to Eureka. Before that happened, we would go to my g-ma's during the summer house and just be there in the muck. She had a 4 bedroom house, but the biggest bedroom upstairs(the size of the master and another room put together) was closed and locked. Not only that, the upstairs hallway to get to the room was locked too. One day I found the key to unlock that room, and I showed it to my mom. She got all quiet and then really REALLY excitedly said, "seriously? Can I see it?" I handed it over and she ran right up the stairs. Bashed her way around the boxes and unlocked the door. Only to discover that the room was so full of boxes that the door couldn't even be opened. That's the way my grandma lived.

And that's my heritage. And so whenever I see homes like that I have to blame the other spouse for a little bit of the problem. A person will get away with as much as you let them. So as long as the non-hoarding spouse keeps their mouth shut or in some other way acquiesces, it will continue. Why not just grab a bag one day and fill it with as much crap you can find? Take it from the bottom of the stack I mean that stuff hasn't been seen for years, so there is no way the hoarder can say "But i was USING that!". Also, if the hoarder claims that there are "special keepsakes" you can say "well, they obviously aren't that special to you because you have piled trash on top of them". I'm basically saying there is no excuse that can't be proven to be a total justification for their actions.

Because I'm afraid of becoming a hoarder, I tend to like moving. It helps me keep my house clean. I always do a purger as I'm packing up my stuff. And I loveLOVElove to throw things out. Even clothes. Like if I get a new shirt, my rule to myself is that I have to get rid of an old one. If I buy 4 shirts, I have to get rid of 4 shirts. This usually isn't a problem because I always have clothes that I end up not wearing for quite a while. It just makes me keep myself in check. And keeps my closet from being over run. (but then I look and see how many more clothes Marcelo has than me and I get seethingly jealous. Maybe I should re-think this whole "get a shirt, lose a shirt" idea)

So don't be surprised if I come over to your house and start throwing things away. It's what I've trained myself to do. And I'm sorry if I throw away your prized afghan that was crocheted for you by your great grandmother. I don't care if it's your nakey blankey or not. Becuase seriously, it had to go. It had mysterious stains on it and smelled like 3 day old Ecua-Cheese. You'll thank me later.

6 comments:

anderson.fam said...

You can come over anytime.
I love throwing stuff away, but seem to be a little behind lately.
That's why I love moving too! The first few years of our marriage, when we lived in Utah, we moved every 9-10 months to a new apartment. It was great! Pack light!

Then we had kids. Now we are overrun with stuff.

I like that show. The music is a little scary. The "experts" are weird and don't seem to be much of a help.

Lynn said...

I can't watch Hoarders. It freaks me out. I think my g-ma is a semi-hoarder, but she hoards stuff and then tries to pawn it off on us grandkids. Like when we bought our house, she tried to give us all kinds of crap. I was like, "No, g-ma, I don't want 5 crocheted toilet paper holders or 8 hand-woven baskets or any of the 200 sewing projects you started, but never finished, thanks anyways." I think you're ok because you actually can throw things away.

Also, speaking of shows, I just wanted to inform you that Frank the Entertainer now has his own show called "Frank the Entertainer in a Basement Affair." He brings 15 ladies into his parents home looking for love. Nate and I just DVR'd the first episode, so hopefully it is half as entertaining as I Love Money. I am so excited. Not that I watch that trash mind you, I am just happy he can try to find love:)

Mindalynn said...

My grandma was a total hoarder too--although, after hearing about your grandma, I don't feel quite so bad. When she died and her children had to go through all her stuff, it was SUCH a huge job! My dad is pretty bad too, although my mom does "put her foot down" on a lot. But she also has to choose her battles sometimes...hence her basement full of electronic junk.

I have to always remind myself: if I can't find it, I might as well not have it and might as well toss it!

Nate Judd said...

I wonder if our Grandma's are hoarders because they lived through the great depression. My grandma has about 10 years of food storage for a family of 71 (which has mostly gone bad)but the only way we can clean out the pantry is if she's not around.

Amy said...

If we had more than 3 channels and weren't in the middle of trying to finish Alias and Smallville I think Hoarders would be a show that I would love to hate. I have pack rat tendencies and I don't have genes to blame for it! Eeek! But this year I have made a goal to clean things out and so far I'm doing okay on it. I thought I was going to empty my closet of a whole slew of "skinny clothes" that I haven't worn for years but I still couldn't handle that. Instead, I set a date for a year after this baby is born and if I don't fit in them by then--they will all be tossed. HOLD ME TO THAT, PLEASE!!

Anyway, it sounds like you are going to be OKAY since you are throwing stuff out. I hear you about being seethingly jealous of your husband's wardrobe though. Danny has WAY more shoes than I do!!

Reggs said...

The worst part about those shows, is that they clean out the house and make it look awesome. You just KNOW that hoarder hasn't had therapy and is going to IMMEDIATELY go get more crap to put on top of that new furniture.
I hate clutter and thusly, have thrown away a lot of items I'm sick of seeing everyday. And I don't miss any of it!
YOU'LL BE THE ONE TO BREAK THE CYCLE ALICIA!