Ahhh, Valentines Day! This is one holiday that gets some respect in our house. Because in Ecuador, it's the Day of Love AND Friendship. So much like elementary school, people celebrate the day with everyone around them. Sending cards, chocolates and little trinkets to everyone. No one is left out. It's a good day for all.
So, that's why we spent Valentine's Day together as a family. Marcelo and I decided to go to our favorite Thai restaurant in Orem on Saturday. We tried to volunteer to babysit our friend's kids, but they didn't call us back until we were already at dinner. (They did invite us to go to a movie later, but it was a dollar movie so the tickets sold out almost immediately. It didn't happen and we were sad) So we just spent the day together as the Loor family.
We did take a side trip to Costco at the same time and saw the mad rush for chocolate cake and flowers. We did not partake but we did buy birth control and diapers. I think that is a very funny and ironic coupling of items. You shouldn't need the one if you used the other properly in the first place. Some other funny pairings? Buying a case of beer and card for your child who is just leaving on a mission. Buying a can of rat poison and a rodent cage. You think of some more. I'm going to get back to my story.
So after dinner (which was delicious. We even got Evi to eat some of everything!) and the movie was a bust, we went home. We did the normal nighttime routine with bath, dressing, praying and finally books right before bed. However, as I was reading to the Bibbers, I notices that her head was a little warm. Not her cheeks, or her neck or her hands or body. Just the forehead and top of her head. Marcelo felt it and said it was nothing. And I believed him.
NEVER TRUST YOUR HUSBAND!! TRUST YOUR MOTHERING INSTINCTS!! Nothing terrible happened. She slept just fine, but woke up on FIRE. Super hot, and just feeling crappy. She cuddled in bed with us for about a half hour. (Funny side story. When she comes into bed with us, she will flop on top of us and ask for her back to be rubbed/scratched. Oh, did I say "asked?" I meant "pointed to her back and made grunting noises". But this morning she was too tired to do even that. The moment I stopped moving my hand, she would do just a little "uh uh" in my ear. Very soft, almost nothing. She couldn't do more than that. Marcelo and I loved it)
Anyway, I can never get her to sleep with us in bed. Once she's up, she's going going gone. We gave her some medicine, and she seemed to perk up. At least her fever went down. (not before puking all over the couch and carpet, though. Great way to start off your Day of Rest, I'll tell you that)
We said no to church. Because I've worked in the nursery, and I wouldn't like someone to come in, drop off their kid to me and say, "well, she puked this morning and had a fever, but we thought she would miss out on her friends if we didn't come. ENJOY HER!!" We made an executive decision. Which was a good idea, because it spiked again after her afternoon nap. It was up to 103.6. But again, it responded with the baby ibuprofen. Marcelo kept trying to force me to take her to the Dr. office, and finally I had to read to him that "fevers are normal and the way the body responds to infection. If fever lasts more than 3 days or does not respond to medicine, please bring her in". We were less than 24 hours so we didn't meet any criteria. He finally shut up about taking her.
So that's how we spent our Day of Love and Friendship. And I want to wish a happy L&F Day to all of you. I'm guessing your day went better than mine. If you didn't catch your daughter's puke in your cupped hands, then your day was infinitely better than mine.
P.S. When I looked for a cool picture to put with this post, this is what I found:
Ummm, i think we need to talk about the awesomeness of this album cover. Animal print blanket? Check. Handkerchief matching lipstick color? Check. Rad 80's graffiti-esque font? Double AND triple check for all 3 colors used. Please tell me what is your favorite part about this album cover?
Sunday, February 14, 2010
You Give Me Fever
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Katelyn did the exact same thing last Sunday. Danny got her up and got her milk and was ecstatic that she was just lying on the couch quietly so he could work on his lesson. I came downstairs, saw her just lying there limply and immediately felt her forehead--FEVER!! Do you read from the Kaiser book? Every time Katelyn has a fever I have to consult the book to remind myself that it's O-KAY.
Woot to the way Ecuador celebrates. That's how I've always celebrated it anyway. (Although I do appreciate having a significant other to celebrate with even though he celebrates just to keep his wife happy...)
Happy L&V Day. Hope tomorrow goes better for you!
YAY for Valentine's Day, celebrated as Love and Friendship Day! Good times.
I'm impressed that Evi would try anything (everything) at a Thai restaurant. No way could I get my kids to do that. (I'm not sure if I could get my husband to do that, actually.)
Sorry that Evi's sick. Even though it's normal for kids to get sick (and have fevers, etc. -- I've got sisters-in-law who take their kids in to the doctor's office for sniffles and it drives me batty!), it's still so sad (and cleaning up throw-up is NOT on my list of fun things to do!) Get better soon, Evi!!
poor you and poor Evi. is she better now? i called my friend's daughter, Ava, "Evi" today. nice.
Post a Comment