CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Is it just me?

When you move into a new house, do you change all the toilet seats?

I don't know about you, but I have learned that almost always, used toilets come with a yellow or brown tinge to them that no amount of scrubbing will get rid of. I don't even try to clean them now. $5, 10 min and a trip to Home Depot makes my life so much better.

And it gives me a chance to clean in the two holes where the seat screwed in. I use gloves, a rag and the strongest chemical possible. The discussion I have with myself:

"Hmm, this one says to use in a well ventilated area. But this one says to use gloves, eyewear AND a mask. . Can I mix them? Oh screw it! I'm going to use oven cleaner and clean till I pass out from the fumes". And then I throw the rags away.

I'm only this compulsive when it comes to toilets. You know me. I don't do toilets, even when it's just me and my husband peeing in them. Forget about other people's pee. It's not happening.

Guess what? I'm sleeping in a new house tonight! And I just went to the bathroom on a new toilet seat! Man, life is good right now.

(To answer your questions, I move 1/2 block away from where I was before. Still in the same ward, but in a newer, smaller, but ultimately better place. Come visit me once the carpet gets put in!)

8 comments:

hil said...

how have i never thought of that before?!!! of course! new toilet seats. genius. you've just changed my life. no, seriously. my last toilet had a mysterious brown spot on it that didn't scrub away (i tried and tried and tried and tried...) and i never even thought to buy a different seat! in my defense, it was a scuff mark from, i don't actually know what could scuff a toilet seat, but it was not poop. i am so all over this new toilet seat idea. thank you.

Mindalynn said...

I totally agree--genius! That thought had never occurred to me either, and I don't know why because it's such a good idea.

Hope you're enjoying your new place!

Lynn said...

Yay, congrats on a new home! And I ALWAYS change the toilet seats when I move! Thank you for making me not feel like a freak. It just grosses me out to think of other people's butts sitting on my toilet seat for who knows how long before I moved in. I'm also OCD about cleaning the toilet flusher handle and and all doorknobs and light switches when I move to a new place. I'm a freak, I know.

hil said...

Lynn, i heard tell of our similarities and now i can confirm it. i mean, you don't know what people do in that bathroom! i KNOW a few people who come to my home are not handwashers, which is so sick, and they touch my knobs and lights and it's just so filthy. why are people so nasty?

Lynn said...

Haha, I'm glad you're a freak like me Hil! Why didn't Alicia ever let us hang out when I lived near her? Lol. Seriously though, people really are just gross. I HATE when people are at my house and don't wash their hands, and I KNOW when they don't because I can totally hear everything that happens in that bathroom. I mean EVERYTHING. And I totally judge them. Just a warning for those of you out there who may come to my house and use the potty in the future:)

Amy said...

Brilliant! Except our home came with padded toilet seats. HEAVEN, I tell you--H-E-A-V-E-N!!!! I bet those run more expensive. At least they didn't have any marks on them.

Oh, and I spent 3 days STRAIGHT cleaning our new house top to bottom. I was disgusted about thinking of other people's germs on the walls. Don't EVEN get me started about the bathrooms!!!

I'm glad you have a new toilet seat to go on. That must be a relief. Har...har...

Reggs said...

YES!!! We totally change the toilet seats, even if we were just renting. I learned that sweet trick from my MIL.

InWeighOverMyHead said...

I never thought of that!