CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 2, 2008

A question for all my fellow BYU grads


So you know that part of the HBLL (That's Harold B. Lee Library) on the south side where there is an overhang? When I first went to BYU, that was the entrance to the library, but very quickly after I started they closed it up and started the underground construction. Eventually, they turned that whole area into classrooms.

(Funny tangent story about that. One of the only times I went into that entrance was to meet up with my sister Sarah. And when I got there, she was being accosted by some crazy nut who heard that she was a dietetics major and wanted her to taste this new Powerbar knock off he was trying to produce. He was going on and on about how those "other" bars were full of preservatives but how his were great and MUCH BETTER because they were all natural and had lots of veggies and even parsley in it. And you could SEE the parsley big chunks in it. And he made her taste it right in front of him. Well, she finally got rid of him and as we were walking home, she had a part of a bar in a plastic baggie-cause he had forced her to take it with her, of course-and she was looking for the nearest trash can to throw it away. I asked her what it tasted like and she said, "It tasted like Parsley." Good HBLL memories)

Great story, Axel!

But anyway, on that MOST south side, there is an overhang and a walkway underneath. It's frequently used by students especially in the winter to get out of the snow. So with all the rain that's been falling here recently, this made me think about something and I wanted to pose a question to all of you.

If you are walking from, say the Wilk to the Kimball Tower, the most natural pathway is that "covered" walkway. And if you are walking from, say your freshman dorm Fox Hall (WHOO!! FOX HALL!!! FOXY LADIES!!!) you will have been carrying an umbrella and using it against the rain/snow for quite a while. There will be some drippage coming off the sides.

So here's my question: When you go under the overhang walkway, do you collapse your umbrella and then re-expand it 20 seconds later as you come back out from under the overhang? I mean, you are literally going to put it back up in 20 seconds after you come out from under the overhang. And if you do collapse it, how do you hold it so as to keep it from dripping on you, others and your shoes? All the while still keeping it close so that you can re-expand it quickly once you walk out again? Because if you don't do it fast enough, you are just the idiot who can't work your umbrella and you are standing in the rain and HOLDIN' UP THE LANE, DANG IT!!!

Or do you keep it up (cuase you know that you will just have to re-expand it in 20 seconds, right?) but then feel stupid because you are carrying an umbrella where there is no possibility of getting wet? Almost feeling like you are carrying an umbrella indoors. And you are trying to dodge people with your full umbrella and they are giving you crusty looks because you almost poked their eye out! And THEY didn't keep up their umbrella, and why don't you put that thing down!! It's not raining under here, idiot!

Or do you keep it expanded, but like put it down to the side so that you aren't looking idiotic protecting yourself from nothing, nor are you threatening others with the sharp pointy ends of your dagger like umbrella? But keeping it expanded so you can quickly put it back up above your head as soon as you walk out from under cover. But also keeping in mind that while still expanded on it's side there is the chance you will drip on someone or brush your super moist umbrella top on some unsuspecting student? Also know that if you put it to the side, you will be taking up more space in the always crowded passage. And people might get mad at you. And hit your umbrella on purpose, and ruin it. Or give you a crusty look when you touch them with it and get them all wet.

Or do you try to do all of these things at one time or another and then just give up and decide to take the path north of the Library? Cause this is just too much stress for a Freshman.

7 comments:

Mindalynn said...

Hmmmm....I don't think I owned an umbrella as a freshman. I have no memories of this conundrum ever taking place. Of course, knowing me, I was probably the one dripping on everyone and poking them in the eye while being totally oblivious...

anderson.fam said...

Of course it is more likely that if you do decide to lower the umbrella only to reopen after emerging from the overhang, you get caught up and come to a jolting halt right in front of a speedwalker like me who reads you like a book as you pull out that thing to re-open, but can't change walking lanes without stepping on another cattle hoof. Then the inevitable impact, followed by a weak apology on my part even though it was 200% your fault, and no response on your fault. So that was YOU Alicia?
It reminds me of taking a short cut across the grass instead of the walking path and being chastized by a big meany who mearly said, "Cougars don't cut corners!" I believe this issue is a serious one and I would suggest to leave the umbrella at home and just wear a big coat with a hood that you never remove, until of course you walk into your destination building and strip down to your knee-length shorts and cap sleeve tank to ward off the 136 degrees you must endure for the next hour and fifteen minutes.

Emily said...

I say the rain qualifies as a justifiable excuse not to go to class. Stay home with the umbrella and watch Oprah.

Reggs said...

I am with the first commentor...I NEVER had an umbrella with me, and especially not my freshmen year. It was always like, "carry this stupid umbrella all over campus...or leave it at home and run to class?"
Laziness always won out.

Beth said...

Nathan and I just discussed this in depth. First of all, he pointed out that he didn't carry an umbrella. But I did, sometimes. So.

We would either:

a) fold it
b) walk down the stairs, in the rain, so that you could keep your umbrella up (plus there are probably not as many people down there to potentially gouge with your umbrella on accident)

Interesting conundrum. :-)

So whenever I walked in the rain, I still always got wet, even if I had an umbrella. Somehow I would kick up water on the back of my pants and so the lower half of my jeans would be soaked by the time I got to class. *sigh*

Lisa said...

OK, I have never, EVER used an umbrella. I have owned umbrellas, but never used them. WHY? Because either I don't have it with me, or I don't want to try and find it when I leave. Anyhoo, if I DID carry an umbrella with me, I would leave it expanded, yet drop it down my back a ways so I don't look like a complete idiot and yet I don't take up space beside me. :)

Mindy Burns said...

Alicia- you need to have twins so you have less time to think up silly conundrums! :) PS- I made a boy carry an umbrella over me, that way they looked like the dork and I stayed dry.