CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I'm so excited. I'm so excited. I'm so. . .So . . . SCARED

I love Marcelo. He is like the freaking most awesome person in the whole wide world. He works so hard, and is so loving. He loves me, he loves the little girl, and he loves our little baby. He is SOOO sure that we are having a girl, so he's been thinking about girl names all the time.

The other day Marcelo told me to go look at this Word document he had created. It had some names he had been thinking about, and those were names that he really liked. So I open up the document, and this is what I find. (The spelling is all original)

Allison
Elena
Anabel
Kimberlly
Kelly
Sabrina

DISCLAIMER!! Now, I don't want to offend anyone with the rest of my blog. So if you have any special attachments to any of these names, just stop reading now. If your name is one that I have listed above, or if your most beloved child is named one of the names above, just stop now. Harsh comments are to follow. DISCLAIMER FINISHED

WHAT THE HECK IS HE THINKING?!?!? Does he plan on naming our child something circa mid-80's? I mean Kimberlly? With TWO ll's? Is the second L supposed to make the name less lame? LESS EFFECTIVE!! It doesn't work and is still not a cool name. I was just so thrown back that he wants to name our kid some generic name that everyone has.

Reagan thinks it's odd that he wants to name our kid some American boring name, and I want to name our kid some Latino name. Marcelo tells me that the Latino names I've picked out are not cool. So it makes sense that he grew up hearing those Latino names and I grew up hearing those American names, so we don't want our kid to have the names with which we have had bad associations.

He said he really likes Sabrina. But who can ever name their kid that and not be teased for naming your kid after a teenage witch? The only one I actually don't hate is Anabel. But I told Marcelo that the poor girl will have people misspelling her name for her whole life. Now that he's lived in the USA, he knows EXACTLY what that's like. (MARCELO HAS ONE "L" PEOPLE!! JUST ONE!!!)

Allison is just a boring name, and you couldn't PAY me to name my kid that. And Elena is the name of a fat Mexican kid that eats paste. And it usually follows the name "Maria". Maria Elena, yeah, that's TOTALLY the fat Mexican kid that eats the paste. Now, I don't have a problem with fat people or Mexicans. I myself am currently one of those two. But I don't want my kid to be a chubby paste eater. So Elena is out.

Now, Kelly is another generic name. I would put it up there with Emily, or Jessica or Rebecca. Just like BLAH. But the BEST thing happened last night. After reading scriptures and turning off the lights, Marcelo decided it wast time to talk to the baby. He rubbed my (ample) belly and said, "Oh Kelly, how are you doing tonight?"

That made me thinking about the names I had seen and we started talking about the names. He commented on how he thinks those names sound really cool, and how they would be good names. I said he was crazy, and I asked him where he got those names. He said, "You know where I got that name Kelly? I got it from that show, 'Zach Morris'."

Did I mention that I love my husband. Do you know how freaking awesome it is that, #1 my husband watched Saved by the Bell growing up JUST LIKE ME. #2 He does not call the show "Saved by the Bell" but instead calls the SHOW "Zach Morris." (This is actually true for all Ecuadorians. They also call The Simpsons "Los Sinsoms") and finally #3 He thought that Kelly Kapowski was so cute, that she deserved to have our first born named after her.

I could NOT believe it!! I was in heaven just sitting there enjoying that moment of realization. I actually sat up and kissed Marcelo for that comment. And if any of you have ever been 5 months pregnant and FAT, you will know what a challenge that is. I would just like to say that my my husband is freaking AWESOME and I challenge any of you to have a baby naming story where the punchline is: "I think we should name our child after Kelly Kapowski"

It doesn't change my mind, and actually I think it makes a stronger case for why NO ONE should EVER name their kid Kelly. But it's nice to know why he wanted it. Now I will forever feel uncomfortable when I hang out with Tiffany Amber Thiessen. (And yes, I just Googled her name so that I would spell it correctly)

Bottom line: Don't get addicted to caffeine pills the night before your big music break with your two best friends and don't name your kid Kelly. I LOVE YOU MARCELO!!

3 comments:

Reggs said...

If it's a boy, I say you name it Richard Belding.
Sorry Marcelo (one L), the lamest name has to be Kimberlly (two L's), and not just because latinos would call her Kimber-yee. Men really should just understand that unless they want to carry the baby, pee 10 times in the night, and push 7 plus pounds of child through your nethers, they have NO SAY in the naming of the child. They may make their suggestions, but that is all they are: suggestions!

hil said...

listen up, Bing. quit taking speed and why the hell are you hanging out in your room wearing a leotard? that was awesome. and by the way, my grandma is named Elena and my hija is Maria Elena. and i never once saw her eat paste. and like i'd share it with her anyway. don't you remember little kids yelling all the american names that they knew at us? i specifically remember being called Kelly, and now i know why. that is so fantastic. and what's more fantastic is that you know that episode of zach morris. and that you said sinsoms!!! everytime i watch the simpsons (which is frequently) and the little song comes on, i sing, "los seeeeensoms!" you are my lobster. Anabel is okay. Anabel Lee is actually one of my favorite poems, though i urge you not to use Lee for her middle name. and please quit refering to your dog as your "little girl." i thought you found out the gender of your unborn and i got so excited for a second until i continued reading. i still think you're having a boy. you shall name him Zach Morris Loor. anyway, i love you and i'm glad to hear you sounding happy.

Lisa said...

Kimberlly......BAHAHAHA! Oh, I feel your pain in choosing a name. By the time we were to our third child and couldn't agree, we seriously coonsidered each of us tossing our top 5 picks into a hat and letting Noah draw one out. I will also tell you that Joel's top three were "Lincoln", "Xavier", and "North." Suddenly, Kimberlly doesn't sound so bad, does it? If Logan was a girl, he was going to be "Kaiya Grace"....then some lame blonde screamed "KAIYA is the Spanish word for MARIJUANA!" Ummmmm, not that I know of, but maybe you and/or Marcelo could verify?