CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Some Clarifications

I have not run a 5K race yet. I'm currently planning on running the 4th of July "Freedom Run" this summer. I hope I'll just be able to finish the thing before they start cleaning up the race behind me. That's the most embarrassing thing!

Next: Those cookies. Here is the basic recipe for them:

3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup butter-flavored Crisco shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

So that's your basic generic Chocolate Chip cookie recipe. When I usually make these, I'll put in a cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup white. I like my cookies chewy rather than crispy and crunchy and the molasses in the brown sugar does that. (I'm SOOO channeling that cookie episode of "Good Eats" right now). However, last week when I made the cookies, I didn't even have 3/4 cup of brown sugar!! I think I had like barely over 1/2 cup. But I just made up the rest with white sugar. You can do that, it's fine. (Also, if you LIKE crispy crunchy cookies then you SHOULD use more white sugar)

However, I was so happy that they didn't turn out crunchy at all. I think it's because I used the shortening, which I almost never do. ORRRR it could be the fact that I ate them when they were so hot that they still burned my mouth. Any cookie right from the oven is going to be soft and chewy.

Now for the chips. I used a half of a bag of butterscotch chips. And for the semi-sweet chips I used this left-over bar of 80% cocoa chocolate made by Lindt. And that bar of chocolate is actually what inspired the cookies in the first place. See, if you've ever had some chocolate that's over 45% cocoa it's usually just too much. It's bitter and really closely resembles baking chocolate. However, if you take that bar of chocolate and chop it up with your knife, you get little tiny shavings of bitter-sweet chocolate in every bite. And it's not overwhelmingly bitter. The sugar of the cookies and the butterscotch chips makes it all even out.

I would suggest you chop up chips or a bar of chocolate for ALL cookies, whether or not you are trying to get rid of an old chocolate bar or not. The tiny little shavings melt and stay soft and don't really crystallize and it just makes your cookies AWESOME. It's kind of a hassle, but I've always had the best cookies come out when I do this. Try it, you'll thank me later.

So that's my cookie story. Did I mention that these cookies are awesome? I think I still have that 1/2 bag of butterscotch chips around here somewhere. Maybe I should make another batch. . . .

4 comments:

Emily said...

Excellent. I have written it down (with your improvements of course). Thank you! Of course, if I make these cookies and become addicted I won't be as grateful.

Amy said...

OOOOOOOOOOHHH! PLEASE, tell me you didn't just give me the recipe to those majorly addicting cookies. Ahhhhhhh! I'm going to have to stop packing boxes to make these.

I still say way to go on the 5k. I started doing that couch to 5k program and the first day I thought, "This is awesome! I could really do this. It gives me a purpose and a goal for exercising." And then I woke up on the 2nd morning.

Dead.

I think there was some BUSY added in with the DEAD and it amounted to the END of that exercise program. So I think you're awesome for sticking with it.

Nate Judd said...

Dear Bingham,
I will not be making your heroin laced cookies due to the fact that Jillian will find me. I can't imagine the horrors I will suffer if I make and eat those satanic/delicious/addicting/ cookies. Jillian doesn't suffer fools, especially fools with jiggly butt cheeks.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely
Haley

hil said...

Haley, what a funny girl! but seriously, it would be like the scene in the Ring when the girl crawls out of the t.v., only it would be Jillian coming through, one powerful thigh at a time, to slap that cookie out of your face and make you pay. but Jillian, Jilly, if i may, you make me pay every morning! i hear her saying, "if you want big results, you've got to earn them" in my sleep! what have i gotten myself into?