Sometimes I would come home and say that I had a bad day, and Marcelo would start singing that song. It made me happy because he was trying to make me smile when I was so obviously upset. Today was one of those days. I don't really want to get into it, but let's just say this: Lynn did send that email to Jean. It pissed her off like we all knew it would. However, she cannot come and talk to me about it, because then she would have to admit the things she is saying behind my back.
So instead there are secret meetings behind closed doors. (The only reason she would close a door is so she can talk about me) Meetings with Matt, Dan, Peggy and her nephew even!! But I'm never spoken to the whole day. No one talks to me, no one looks at me, no one addresses me. But somehow, I'm still blamed!!! Somehow she still can't figure out "what to do with me." For some reason, even though I had no part of the email, she still has decided that it's my fault, and I therefore must be blamed for it.
I actually thought for a moment that Lynn was a genius and that there would be no way that Jean could confront me about it becuase then she would have to admit to what she did. But it's actually better for her this way! (That doesn't reflect on Lynn's genius status. We all know she still can wipe the floor with most of us, intellectually speaking) But now Jean can talk about me behind my back, blame me for everything and I can NEVER defend myself, becuase I don't know anything about it, right? Right!!!
And the best part? Jean made sure to tell "Peggy" in a really loud voice that Becky her old assistant called her and asked for her job back. Do I believe her? Not for a minute. Is it possible that Becky called and talked about this job in very GENERAL terms? Totally. Do I think that Jean made that "announcement" to Peggy so that I would over hear it and worry about losing my job? You can bet your sweet little crab cakes that she did!!!
Like I said, it was a bad day. I'm ready to just sell this house and get out of this job. I don't want to see any of these people ever again. I'm just so sick of all of it. I don't care about anyone at that office anymore I (except Maria and Alyssa). I'm just so tired of seeing everyone and pretending to give a crap anymore. I'm tired of being yelled at. I'm tired of being blamed. And I'm tired of talking about my job.
So let me get to the topic of this blog so I can stop talking about those people. I have 3 scenarios of how I'm going to tell the office that I'm pregnant. You need to read them and vote on the poll on the right. This poll will stay open till Thursday at 9:00 am. That's when i'll check it for the last time, and do whatever you tell me to do. So here are the options:
1. No muss, no fuss. I say the following. "I just wanted you to all know that I have an announcement. I'm pregnant (wait for response. When I realize there IS none coming, I continue on) Yeah, so I'm pregnant and I'll be leaving soon. So you won't have to put up with me for much longer. The 16th of May is going to be my last day." I'll then toss one of my ultrasound pictures across the table so that they'll get to see my little gusano in all it's glory and that will be the end of it.
2. The Fakeout. I tell them I have an announcement. I've very solemn about it. I say the following, "Well, I'm sure you have all noticed a big change in my appearance. I have been gaining weight at an alarming weight and I'm quite upset about this. I know that I need to do something about my weight, even if that something is drastic. As you know, my father had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago and it really worked for him. So I've made up my mind: I'm going to do something about my weight. So around the 24th of May, I'm going to check into the hospital and. . . have a baby. I predict I can lose 7 to 8 pounds in one hour!!" (Wait for response. When none comes, continue on) "So I'm going to have that to look forward to. In the meantime, you all can look forward to me leaving on the 16th of May."
3. The Award Show. Bring out prizes like Hostess Raspberry Zingers, or Star Crunches. Make sure I have enough for everyone. (Matt, Dan, Jean and Jamie) Tell them that there is gonig to be a quiz and these are the prizes for the winners. Then say, "There is only one for each of you, so you can only win one prize. Please only answer one question. However, you may help each other" Then say, "Well, the first question is this: I have a secret. Who thinks they can guess my secret?" They might have to be "helped" along, but I'm sure that they will get it after only a few seconds. When someone answers the question right, toss them the treat and say "good job" in the same tone you use when praising a dog.
"Next question: Who can guess how many weeks along I am? It might help to know that a normal pregnancy lasts 40 weeks." When one of them guesses 35 weeks, throw another treat at them and use the "dog voice" again. I'm sure that they will be pissed/surprised at this time. But keep up the charade a little longer.
"Ok, last question. Who can guess what my last day of work will be?" This will be AWESOME because Jean hates it when others tell her what she THINKS is her sole right to decide. She thinks that she's the only one that can decide when someone leaves, so the fact that I'm setting my own date will piss her off to no extent. When someone says "May 16th" I will once again praise them like a dog and toss them a package of Zingers.
I'll then say that the 4th treat is for the one that got NO questions correctly. I'll tell them that I wanted to make sure that there were no hard feelings as we left this little meeting, so I wanted to make sure that everyone had a little something awesome and delicious. I'll wait for questions and comments, of which there will of course be none. And then it will all be over.
So those are the three options. Please let me know what you want me to do. I'll make sure I bring multiple packs of Zingers to work that day, and if you all decide for me that I should do another one of the choices, then i'll just eat all of them myself. No harm in that, right? I'm sure not. Should I let you vote for more than one option? Let me know that too.
Here's to workplace gossip and having your boss ruin your day!!!
Monday, April 7, 2008
You had a bad day
Posted by Ali at 8:53 PM
Labels: Summit Sucks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ok, so I would just like to say I am soooo sorry that this backfired on you and you are taking the brunt of it. However, I am still glad I sent the email, especially the response to Matt because at least I was able to call Jean a liar and tell Matt that she tried to manipulate me when I quit (since she had obviously tried to make it sound like I didn't want to tell anyone I was quitting, instead of the truth, which was she actually threatened me and told me not to say anything to anyone or she would "go after me for thousands"). I do feel better about that. The fact that she can receive an email like that, and STILL convince herself that she has done nothing wrong, and that she just needs assistants who don't think she is a liar/bully, drives me BANANAS!! Lady, by the end of May, you will have gone through FOUR ASSISTANTS!!! That should tell you something! You are a deranged, bitter, old lady who will never be happy because even though you have all this money, you have no children, husband, or even friends to share it with. People would feel sorry for you if you weren't such a raging beeyotch. I cannot, cannot, cannot WAIT for you to tell her you're pregnant, because in her mind, you should have asked her before you decided to have kids, so this is going to completely piss her off. Jean is one of those people that will just never be able to realize how horrible she really is. Maybe when she is old and dying alone she will realize that no one cares about her, and feel a twinge of remorse. That is the best I can hope for. Maybe on Alicia's last day, we should all show up at the office and stand outside with balloons, a cake, and noisemakers and throw a little party right outside, so that Alicia can walk out, flip the bird, and then eat some cake right in front of them. Who's with me?
I WILL TOTALLY BE THERE!! And I think after throwing the little party, we should all MOON her. I absolutely cannot wait to read this email. I really hope Lynn gave it to her like a slap in the face.
I can't quite decide which method I like the most (of breaking the news) but the idea of you tossing them treats like they were dogs made me laugh!! "Good girl, Jean, good giiiiiiiirl."
What really strikes me about Jean is that even though she is this successful professional with her own business...she STILL acts like a 14 year old in terms of gossiping and back biting! Like HELLO lady, aren't you too old for this? Even her shriveled ovaries are embarassed by this behavior.
UGH. Alicia, I am so sorry you have to put up with all this workplace stress and so glad you are LEAVING soon. (You are probably even more glad than me, eh?)
I voted for the fakeout. Though yes, the award show made me laugh, too! :-)
I would totally be at the party too if I was in Utah! I agree with Lynn on everything. I'm sorry you have to go through with all this but just a little longer!! Hope you have a better rest of the week!
I am amazed how you have made it this long through your job. I'm glad there's a light at the end of your tunnel!
I've got my harmonica and guitar--let's sing the blues. Although, somehow, the blues seem a little too mild for this situation. Should we sing the Enraged REDS? Ha. ha. I'm so corny.
I'm DYING to hear all about the day you make your announcement. The "Dog Award Show" sounds hilarious but I liked the Fakeout best.
Name the date and time and I WILL be there!! What should I bring?
Post a Comment