CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's not me. . . It's you.


I have a serious pride problem. I'm aware of it, and I'm working on it. Just so you know. If one of the things you think when you read my blog is "MAN! this girl is really smug and sure things a lot of herself" Just be aware that I agree with you. I'm trying to be better.

And in accordance with this goal, I have decided to un-subscribe to certain blogs. See, there are certain blogs that I read only to get offended, or to judge people, or to feel superior, or to mock them in my mind. Usually they are the blogs of friends of friends, or blogs that Reader has recommended to me because we live in the same area and subscribe to the same blogs. So I don't even KNOW the people that I'm judging. I just look at what they write and fume to myself that these people have no idea what they are talking about. And they are cocky in their ignorance. Makes me want to find them and punch them in the throat.

But the thing is, I never comment on these blogs. I never let them know that I am reading them and I just fume silently. BUT I ALWAYS GO BACK! Why do I do this? Is my need for self-declared superiority so large that I need to feed it daily by calling other people "twats" in my mind? Apparently so. But no more. I'm cutting myself off cold turkey.

If any of you are reading this post and thinking "Is she talking about my blog?" the answer is no. If we have met, exchanged emails, or if you have even ONCE made a post on my blog, I am not talking about you. Like I said, these are people that I have never met in life, who I've never exchanged an email with, who don't even know I exist. So it shouldn't be that hard to cut them out, right? That's what I'm telling myself.

But now where will I get my daily dose of snootiness? If all goes well, it will be gone shortly. It's good for me. Pride never helped anyone.

Why haven't I done this sooner?

3 comments:

Beth said...

I end up kicking myself for reading off of my friend's blogrolls and such, too. Even if they are long-lost acquaintances, I end up reading and getting WAY too worked up over it.

A couple weeks ago I made the mistake of reading one particular blog of somebody I kind-of knew but would never have the nerve to talk to. She seemed to have things so together (even with three older boys plus a newborn baby) whereas I was having a hard time keeping my head above water that particular day. I know many of us put the best face on our blogs as possible (and I don't necessarily disagree with that), but yeah, reading about a near-stranger's imagined perfection made me feel about two inches tall. And the funk lasted for days.

Anyway, I like this post. I guess I do the same thing sometimes (reading people's blogs and comparing myself to them, for better or worse) and should probably cut it out, pride being a sin and all. (Does this mean I should unsubscribe to Seriously, So Blessed??)

Lynn said...

I do this all the time. But I don't want to stop. However, I do sometimes feel like a loser when I'm talking to Nate and I say, "Oh my gosh, you will never believe what so and so said on their blog!" Because I say that to him. A lot. You are much less prideful than me.

Also, I heart that you used the word "twat." That word makes me giggle every time I hear/read it. I have a maturity problem along with my pride problem:)

Reggs said...

I have a sinking feeling that most of these horrific blogs are ones you found thru me. I know some seriously obnoxious people!!
I also had to cancel some subscriptions, but I'm glad I made your cut!!