It's so nice coming home from a long trip. Even though we live in a little postage stamp of a home, it's ours. We have our routines here, and they are comfortable. It's nice being able to get back to normal.
Where were we you ask? Well the Bibbers my mother and I went to Missouri for about a week. We dropped off the coveted grandfather clock for my sister Sarah to pick up at a later date, and we got to see my brother's youngest daughter get baptized. We got to go to the lake and eat real Kansas City BBQ and it was just a great time all around. Here are some highlights from the trip:
* Taking off just hours after my baby's 2nd birthday party. (Party will be saved for another post) We wanted to get on the road sooner but there was a big issue with the trailer we were driving and the lights on it not working. Uhaul helped us out, though and we soon got on the road.
* Driving all through the night to get to Missouri Monday morning. There were a few times that
the Baby screamed bloody murder because she wanted her mother (who was driving) and she wasn't being properly served. My baby gets HYSTERICAL and will do things to get my attention. She'll rip out her hair, stick her fingers down her throat to make herself gag/wretch/vomit, scratch herself, bang things and kick the DVD player. She knows that ALWAYS gets my attention. The good thing is that by the end of the week long trip, we had been in the car so much and traveling so much that she was used to it. The trip back to Utah had no screaming meltdowns at all!
* Going to the lake and getting up on a wakeboard! That hasn't happened in years. Maybe since I was married. I just gained too much weight, and our boat isn't the best for pulling people up on a wakeboard. But my brother's boat has a great tower on it and it's as easy as pulling yourself up on a ladder. I was so shocked I got up. I went around for a while but I was so tired from the previous day (when I went around on the super tube behind the boat) that I didn't have the strength to go very long. Next time for sure. But I got up! I'm just happy I got that far. Especially because as I strapped on the boots and slid into the water I IMMEDIATELY wanted to be out. That old nervousness of "you aren't going to get up, you will make a fool in front of everyone" was there. And I really didn't want that. I think I said "Oh, I really don't want to do this" but I stuck it out and did it! Hooray for me!
* Texting Lynn while at a BBQ place to ask her the proper protocol of saying "Yes Ma'am" to someone. I feel like I'm being rude when I don't reciprocate a "ma'am". I was told that if the
person is older I should always say it, but THEN I got worried that I would offend someone by using ma'am when they were younger than me, and thereby telling them that I thought they were old. Lynn let me know that it doesn't really happen, and that if you are older than them and you still say it, they just look at it as respect. (Did I get that right Lynn?) I still feared doing it because I thought it would sound fake. But now I know the rules.
* Coming back from an outing to the park only to find a WATER MOCCASIN (also known as the COTTONMOUTH) snake chilling in the front yard. Actually, chilling about 3 feet from where my baby was just walking. OHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYY CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!
We ran inside, locked the door and my sister in law proceeded to call everyone she could think of until she found a ward member to come over and kill it. Which is a big deal for her because Tina is a big animal advocate. Example? the day before I found a spider on the floor and told my 14 year old niece to take care of it (I don't do spiders, remember?) and they PICKED UP THAT SPIDER AND PUT IT OUTSIDE! ZZHHHHHHGGGGEEEE (audible shiver) But luckily they were smart enough or cautious enough not to take chances with one of the most aggressive and deadly North American snakes that was just chilling out right by the front door to their house. The snake got it's head taken off. And I rejoiced in knowing my child would not die that day.
Just so you know, while Tina was calling trying to find a snake wrangler, I took the broom from the kitchen and unscrewed the handle. I was not going to let that thing get away. So if it started to move, I was prepared to go out there and beat it to death. Seriously, it was FEET away from my child. I was mad, and it deserved to die.
*Going outside to pick Mulberries. They are pretty good, if you can look over the inch worms that you have to pick out (or eat) and the little stems that come off with the berry. You can just spit those out after you eat them. Don't try to take them off the berry, because it squashes the juice out. But going into the back woods of the Missouri wilderness might get you in trouble. Which brings me to. . .
*My mom got a little bit of poison ivy on her face just to the right of her mouth, close to her chin. (I call it the "zit spot" because every month I get one JUST ONE zit right there. At least it's only one, right? But isn't 30 too old to get a zit when I'm PMSing?) Anyway, as we were driving home and were pretty close to the Wyoming border, my mom says, "This poison ivy is really itching my face. But I'm doing good not to touch it. But I have another little itchy thing in my eye lashes. Can you look and see if I have poison ivy in my eye?" And being the inquisitive nice daughter that I was, I agreed. I should've refused. Because as I looked in her eye, I noticed that her lashes were particularly thick in one area. And as she blinked, they moved in response. And then I saw it. . .The tick in my mother's eye.
Now, I want you all to go get a mirror. Or look at a butter knife you have retrieved from the kitchen. But you need to know where this tick was. Take your eyelid, and flip it up as if you were going to do that hideously grotesque and macabre act of flipping your eyelids up on themselves. Don't do it all the way, just gently tilt up your lid until you can see the teeny tiny ridge of skin running JUST UNDER your eyelashes. The minutely small piece of skin between your lashes and your EYE BALL. And you will know where that tick had its nasty Lyme disease-carrying head buried.
My mom says she wishes she could've preserved forever the look on my face when I realized what it was. I was horrified, and couldn't even bring myself to look at it, especially when it moved its legs. Bleeeggch. I'm getting queasy now just thinking about it. We were going to wait till the next gas fill up so my brother could pull it out himself, but after about a 5 second wait I just couldn't think of that thing feasting SO CLOSE TO HER EYEBALL for another second and I said I would just get it.
If anyone knows anything about pulling out a tick, you know that you have to get the whole thing making sure the head doesn't detach. So I grasped that thing, and gave it a gentle pull thinking that was all I would need to do. Nope, it was really drilled in there. So I just pulled harder and success!! And I was pretty sure I got the head too. That thought was confirmed when I looked at the thing and saw 2 chunks of my mom's eye flesh still visible from its nasty little pincers. Mom bled a little, but was very VERY happy to have it out. She said even with the little blood in her eye it was much more comfortable than having it on her itching her. AND SUCKING HER BLOOD I should like to add.
For the rest of the ride home I kept checking my (and my baby's) hair and all over our bodies for the hidden ticks I knew were at that moment giving us Lyme disease. I didn't find any but that's probably because they saw the death of their comrade and ran for their lives.
* And finally, you will ALL think this is gross, but it made me just so happy. When I got into the upstairs shower that all the girls share, I noticed that there was hair on the wall. Isn't that awesome? ALLLLL my sisters put their hair on the wall while they are taking a shower. I don't know where we all learned it. Probably from each other. But it's so nice to know that the same trait is being passed down to my niece. And you should know that her mother (my sister in law) specifically TOLD her daughter to put her hair on the wall. Because after they pulled a hair ball out of the drain that was the size and shape of a large rat, they figured that was the best way to avoid it in the future. Makes sense to me! That's why I do it!
I love my family. It's good being home. I can't wait for the family reunion in July!
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Home
Posted by Ali at 7:38 PM
Labels: A funny thing happened, Bingham Family, Vacation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
EWWWWWW!!! Tick in the eye! Ack! Gasp! I am very afraid of ticks, and that image just creeps the crap out of me. The snake thing is scary too.
Okay, breathing deeply and moving on...I am very impressed that you got up on the wakeboard. I have never to this day been able to get up on waterskis or the like. (I guess it's been a really long time since I tried though...)
gross and gross. i, of course, am talking about the hair. i am reliving the time you told me, "it's a good thing our shower in Carapungo was black because it was covered in hair."
i cannot believe that about the tick. you are both brave.
and i am so thankful that that freaky snake did not get your baby! that made me gasp and say a prayer!
EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!! A tick in the EYE is HORRIYINGLY DISGUSTING!!!! I don't know how you even had the guts to touch it or pull it out. SICK!
Oh, *I* plaster my hair on the shower wall. I always thought I was the only one who did that. I'm glad there are others not totally disgusted by that. It totally helps avoid clogging the drain!
Wow what an eventful trip! It's nice to know you were out of town because I have been meaning to call and apologize for being a crappy friend and not even calling to let you know that I couldn't make it to Evi's party because I had family in town. It sounded like fun--can't wait for the post. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Evi. A two-year old. Wow. It's fun!
I have done the Missouri summer thing as a child, but thankfully I avoided cottonmouths and ticks (especially ticks in the eyes), 'cause just reading about them was -- yarrgh!! Heebie-jeebies times ten. I am grateful that the worst I had to deal with was chiggers.
Seriously, EW, a TICK in the eye!!!! ACK. You are amazing for getting it out.
Glad you had a good time with family. And that you got to eat some BBQ, yum!
Shudder at the tick story. And the snake story. But seriously, how does a tick even GET in that part of an eye? I hate ticks almost as much as Jean Tanner. They seriously gross me out, and I cannot believe you pulled it out. Kudos to you. Nate had a tick on his leg last summer and I would not even touch it. Ugh.
And the snake! Hello, freakout! I love that you were ready with the broom. I also had forgotten about you and spiders and it made me remember how they followed you at the office and how when you saw one that time you screamed and threw your earpiece off right in the middle of talking to a client. SO FUNNY! Ahahahahaha
I would like to clarify that the spider Lynn mentions was not just SEEN by me. Seeing a spider makes me back away and snatch up my child protectively. No, that spider was in fact CRAWLING UP MY HAND MAKING A BEELINE FOR MY NECK. (Yes, it was a vampire spider, in case you were wondering)
That's why it got a scream and a throwing of the phone earpiece across the room. Why throw it, you ask? Because I was doing that "GETITOFF! GETITOFF! GETITOFF!" dance you all are now picturing in your mind. And the earpiece was just one more thing that had to get off my person to help me calm down from seeing a vampire spider crawling up my hand/arm ready with its fangs to suck my blood.
I really hate spiders.
And yes, I am aware vampire spiders don't exist.
Post a Comment