CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Cabin

Mom is selling the cabin. It's sad, but we knew the good times had to come to an end sometime. We have had that cabin for more than 1o years and we all have some great memories there. My husband has said that it's in the top 5 most favorite places in the world for him. He loves to be outside, relaxing under the trees. It is the embodiment of vacation and it will be missed. Here are some of my favorite things to do while there and the things I will miss most:

* Wakeboarding
* Drinking root beer (and letting my mom have "just a sip" of it herself)
* Falling asleep on a hammock after trying to read a book
* Playing SkipBo with my sisters
* Eating licorice
* Leaving the lid off the licorice tub so it gets hard and super chewy, and then listening to everyone whine about how SOMEONE left the lid off the licorice tub. So then I try to just take out a FEW pieces and leave them to get hard. But they always seem to disappear before I can go retrieve them. So then I just take the lid off the whole tub as retribution.
* Getting sunburned because I always forget to slather at least ONE part of my body and then taking a shower followed by a long nap to let the heat soak in
* Trying to convince my husband to get in the water
* Jogging down to the boat dock and then jumping in the water
* Smores and "skit night" by the campfire
* "Speerneck" stories
* Taco Bombs. And BFTT's. Actually, I don't think I will be missing those.
* One bathroom for 20-30 people
* My Aunt Lynda's crazy CRAZY antics.. And I mean crazy. Whether it's trying to convince people to eat the left over pizza crusts from 3 nights ago, or making clothes out of pillowcases, there is never a dearth of mocking material when she is around.
* Fresh blackberry pies
* Walking/riding down to the "swimming hole"
* A fridge so full of food it cannot close properly or even chill the food adequately.
* And finally, the battle that IS the yearly photo. I mean, we've only been doing this for 10+ years, but for some reason, something always goes wrong. Usually we know EXACTLY when the photo will be the first day of camping. "Hey, don't forget, family photo Thursday at 4:00 pm". But then there is always SOMETHING. Like a couple of kids are down at the swimming hole, or someone decides to leave early so we have to take the photo a day before, or someone forgot to ask a neighbor to take the picture so we scramble to find someone at the last moment. Or my personal favorite, last year, where mom decided to make dinner and then RIGHT BEFORE she announces it's picture time. So the food waits and gets cold for 45 minutes while we try to find a photographer and then proceed to give her 97 cameras to take a picture with each one. It's always something.

So here are some pictures of Trinity Center 2009. The last year we would all have those crazy wild times, even though we didn't know it at the time. (Thanks to my cousin Dakota. I stole them all from her)

The genesis of the FAMILY PHOTO. Notice how everyone is confused, there is someone trying to direct things, babies are crying, people are getting annoyed:













But then we always pull it together at the end:


Farewell cabin! Enjoy the next people who own you. But I'm sure they won't love you as much as we did.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

sounds fun! Where is the cabin?

Chad & Sarah Marsden said...

I was really sad about the cabin too. It was kinda run down but we loved that place. I take the best sweaty summer naps there. I am so glad the aristocrap is coming camping with us this year. It will bring a little of the cabin to Utah.

Amy said...

Aww! It makes me want to cry and I've never even been. Danny's parents sold their cabin, which housed two of my top 10 Memories ever (Christmas in July complete with Danny dressed as Santa and Mindy's grad from the VL club, and my honeymoon!) so I guess I know the feeling a bit. Little did we know last time we were at their cabin was going to be THE LAST TIME. It's too bad because it ended up being a stressful trip instead of the relaxing one we planned because we were busy saving trying to save the cabin from the idiot across the street who decided to drink and do a controlled burn. After he collapsed from his hangover the controlled burn turned into a NOT-SO-CONTROLLED burn so we were running from neighbor to neighbor trying to find someone who had a phone to call the fire department and then between being up with a newborn Katelyn and having fire engines tear through the neighborhood all night with their sirens on, we got little to no sleep and woke up to drive back to Utah. The guy ended up trying to thank us for saving him from his stupidity with a bottle of wine. How ironic. Anyway, so sad to such a loved and memory-filled place go. Does that mean your mom is moving here?

Hoolie said...

Um, no one ever told me we were getting rid of the cabin. SAD...also sad that no one keeps me in the loop on these important matters, come on people!!!!