
Scene: Our house kitchen, Saturday night. No food prepared, Marcelo hungry
Me: Do you want me to make something? It might take a while, but I can have something ready in about 30 minutes.
Marcelo: Hmmm, thirty minutes? (I can hear in his voice that he is hungry now)
Me: Well, I have fresh rice and salsa. You can have that if you want.
Marcelo: (silence) What?
Me: Rice and salsa. You know like we have when I prepare with meat on the side. Except I don't have any meat.
Marcelo: Just rice and salsa? WHAT?
Me: I LIKE IT!! And it's the best part of the meal anyway. You sure you don't want it?
Marcelo: (Silence, meanwhile looks at me like I am crazy) . . . .Uhhh, no.
AND SCENE
You should know, my salsa is hommade and very much like a "pico de gallo" you will find at other restaurants. But it has no jalapenos, and hence no heat at all. 4 simple ingredients: Cilantro, tomatoes, onion and limes. Oh and salt. But it's how you PREPARE it. Lots of lime. Let the lime soak into the onions after you wash them and scrunch them up. IT'S A PROCESS, I TELL YA!!! It's basically a lime soaked infusion that will make you happy. If you like lime, which we do around here.
And I love it on top of rice. Especially hot rice. The hot rice and cold salsita? SO GOOD. Something like pie ala mode. Hot pie and cold ice cream. So, just, yum. If you are lucky I'll make it for you someday. If not you just have to dream about it from my writings here.
Happy eating!
Friday, April 2, 2010
A Real Conversation With My Dear Husband-Session #3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
First of all, I love these conversations with your husband posts. Second of all, that sounds delicious. That is exactly how I make my salsa/pico, except I also add avocado. It is delicious. I will def have to try it with rice. Sometimes I just eat it straight out of the bowl as a vegetable. I'm classy like that.
I LOVE lime and ANYTHING with it! Your salsa sounds divine, but I thought you liked the heat? It would be perfect for my hubby who does not handle the heat, despite my many, MANY attempts to break him in... Mmmmmm....suddenly I'm starving. Hot rice and salsa here I come!
Post a Comment