
Have you seen Disney's Peter Pan in a while. OH MY GOODNESS!! You will be shocked at the "Injun" portion of the movie.
The phrase "Me smokem' peace pipe" is used. Also "Hoow" and "squaw" and calling Native Americans "The Red Man". How has the ACLU not banned this movie yet? It's good racist times.
On a similar note, Lady and the Tramp has those Italian guys that are also quite stereotypical. But for some reason, they make me laugh. Super Mario accent? Funny. Why is that? Maybe it's because of Tina Fey. "I want-a make-a the prank-a phone call"
Anyway. I'm going to try to teach my kids not to be racist. Well, I'm going to tell them not to "war whoop" in the presence of people.
Or ever, really.
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
More Overt Racism
Posted by Ali at 5:57 PM
Labels: Motherhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are so right. I think I remember having these thoughts even as a child watching Peter Pan--that it was racist. (I must have been an older child)... anyways, it's so crazy that movies used to be like that!
Peter Pan is shockingly racist. I totally agree. When the kids watch it, I cringe.
BYU was considering doing Peter Pan the Musical next year but probably won't because it's touring. It actually has a song called "Ugga Wugga". Really? It's probably worse than the disney movie.
Post a Comment