So after nearly 3 months of speech therapy I can tell you that she's had almost no difference in her speech. Oh, I know what you think when you look at those videos. And that's pretty much how it goes around here. Babbling non-stop her nonsensical words and wildly gesticulating. And yet, no words.
I mean, we are talking basic things like "yes" and "milk". I think I read somewhere that by 2 years your kid should speak like 100 words. I have heard her say 2. They are "no" and "esta". But she's great at recognizing words. She knows around 20 animals and can point to them. She knows colors and shapes. And she knows hundreds of commands. I would say that when it comes to recognizing and responding, she can recognize over 200 words and phrases. But what good does that do me when she's hungry and she won't tell me but instead whines non stop? I mean, I can ask her if she's hungry, and she makes a "uh huh" sound (again, she doesn't say "SI" but just makes a sound) but that's not what we are going for! We want words here!!
Sunday I asked her nursery teachers about her language. We are very blessed that one of her nursery teachers got back from a mission to Argentina less than a year ago and loves speaking Spanish to her. And so I asked him if they notice that she speaks when not around me. They said that she just babbles and babbles but nothing recognizable comes out. They said that last week she went and sat down next to Elissa (a little girl about 1 year older than her) and just blabbed and blabbed for minutes. After she left, the teachers asked Elissa what Bibi said to her. She shrugged her shoulders and said, "I don't know". Nice
But the real kicker is what happened a few weeks ago at the park. A little boy was playing with her and she was running around and just generally not talking. And he said to her "I can talk. . . . Can you?" OHHHH!!! BUURRRNNN!!!!
No, junior. The answer is no. She cannot talk. But if you want someone to show you how to destroy the house while your mom is in the shower, she's your girl
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
. . . Can You?
Posted by Ali at 7:52 PM
Labels: Evelyn, Motherhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Maybe the peer pressure will push her over the edge. :)
does the speech therapist work with her in spanish? yeah, that sounded really stupid once i got it written out. don't sweat it. she'll talk when she talks. she and Darby can get together and she can babble and Darby can speak in her little language and they can both be like Nell.
She's trying to tell you she's ready for swim lessons and you have to be underwater to understand her. Wasn't that in a movie?
Don't worry, she'll get there. Plus she'll be bilingual and smarter than every kid out there!
Oh, STOP! I've got tears from laughing so hard. You've done it again. I can just see you saying this whole post and my sides are just aching. Peer pressure is AWESOME. (It gets Katelyn to go potty--it works miracles!)
I mean, I'm sorry--I know it can be frustrating to have your kid not talk. When Katelyn's cousin Jakob (4 months older than her) was sounding like a proper adult in both English AND German with his freaquing perfect pronunciation and complete sentences I was stressed out. But Evi's obviously smart from everything you've said. I'm sure one day when you least expect it, she'll BUST out in complete sentences in both languages. Just how of curiosity, how familiar is she with Dora the Explorer?
I think I've mentioned my little nephew before, who is just three weeks younger than Josh (so, turning three this summer) and can now speak toddler-ese in both English and Albanian (Dad speaks to him in English, Mom speaks to him in mostly Albanian and some English). I asked my sister-in-law about it this weekend (because I noticed how much better he was speaking since last time I saw him five months ago) -- he did NOT talk at all until 2 years, 4 months. Not even much babbling, even. They'd had him evaluated and all that, but he obviously understood and could communicate by pointing, and the professionals told him that he was fine -- just biding his time (he took his time on all the other major milestones, too).
Now she says that he can differentiate between the two languages (which is kind of amazing, if you ask me); plus, he picks up a ton in English that she never realized he knew (since she is always talking to him in Albanian, and she's the one spending so much time with him).
Anyway, thought I'd share. Now that I've met Evi I can wholeheartedly agree with you that she's plenty bright!
Post a Comment