CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Boy? Girl? Will there be a quiz on this later?

Confession: You know that movie Panic Room? The one with Jodie Foster? It came out on my mission, so the first time I caught it was after my mission. So when I saw it the first time I think it was on TV and I think I missed like the first 5 minutes of it.

I HATE MISSING THE FIRST 5 MIN OF MOVIES!!! And the first 5 minutes of this one were pretty important. You found out about the woman and her . . . child.

I say child because as soon as the movie started and her "child" showed up, I didn't know if it was a boy or a girl!! She never said the child's name and since I had missed the first few minutes, I didn't hear her talk about him/her when they weren't there. And of course to the kid's face, she only said "dear". I couldn't concentrate on the movie because I kept trying to find out if it was a boy or a girl.

And this continued for well into half the movie. I distinctly remember that there was a "suspenseful" moment when her child is trapped and needs medicine for the asthma attack it's having. And I remember not at all worried about the child. I was not in suspense about the life of the child. I was only in suspense about the sex of the kid. I JUST WANTED TO HEAR IF IT WAS A BOY OR A GIRL!!! And Jodie Foster says. "My CHILD IS DYING!!" What is the matter with her? Why can't she say "My son is dying" or "My daughter is dying". What the crap is the matter with that mom?

Anyway, I hardly watched the movie, or cared what happened. I think Jodie Foster won? Maybe? And eventually I found out that it's a girl. And not just any girl. The Twilight girl. The girl that you can't pass a grocery checkout newsstand without seeing. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

But seriously, look at these pictures.














She could totally be a little boy! The androgynous haircut, the black baggy shirt with graffiti on it. Do you blame me for being confused? I blame all the parents that let their boys grow their hair long. It's their fault no one can tell a boy from a girl anymore.

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever been confused about the gender of a person? Did it lead to an embarrassing story? Please share!

4 comments:

anderson.fam said...

Uh, just EVERY SINGLE DAY THAT I TAKE MY DAUGHTER OUT IN PUBLIC WEARING PINK, WITH BOWS OR FLOWERS ON HER PIGTAILS SOMEONE ALWAYS SEEMS TO SAY, "Oh, what a cute little boy" or, to my son, "Oh, is that your baby brother?" Seriously, no one asked you to open your mouth in the first place ya dumb dufus!

It actually happened to me my first day in France. Fresh off the plane, they drove us to a church building. We were just sitting around waiting and there was a child there playing with a soccer ball. It looked like a boy, dressed like a boy, played like a boy. I decided to go talk to him and show off my soccer skills. He told me his name, but I didn't understand it anyway, so there were no red flags at the gender-specificity of it! I had my comp take a picture of us. I'd brag to other missionaries that this was the first french member of the church I ever met. Finally someone recognized the kid and told me who SHE was. OH CRAP. I hope she didn't notice, but I never did see her again.

Amy said...

THAT is Twilight girl?!?! I guess she's grown up and gotten a little better looking since then. Yeah--I totally wouldn't be able to tell if that was a boy or a girl. In fact, in that first picture she totally looks like another boy star...I can't put my finger on it right this moment...maybe a little like Home Alone dude (no way am I going to attempt spelling his name). But that's not quite right either...

I am POSITIVE I've had an "And I Felt Dumb..." moment due to gender confusion but the only one coming to mind had to do with my sister and my friend. See, I had this friend in high school, who after some SERIOUS issues with boys, felt that she was lesbian. She cut her hair butch and started walking like a boy--you know the strut. It'd been awhile since I'd seen her and I'd only recently learned this new development so I thought I'd have her over to talk about it. As my friend was leaving, my sister (who was at an excusably young age, luckily) leaned over to me and said something to the effect of, "Are you SURE she's a girl? 'Cause she looks like a boy and sounds like one, too!" Not only did my friend hear but I was left to try and explain to my kid sister in front of my friend!

Nate Judd said...

I've not seen that movie, probably won't. And I can see where you wouldn't know if the kid was a boy or girl.
By the way I think she is a horrible actress. I could barely stand watching Twilight because of her.

Hoolie said...

Me and Kristin used to go to Figuerdo’s video in Myrtletown store about every

Friday, and we were always perplexed by one of the employees…. We named him/her “Pat” and his/her physical description was like so:

Round face and body, rosy cheeks, boob-like chest flesh, men’s haircut, male-sounding voice, unisex clothing types

Every time we went in there we would try to solve the mystery by asking questions carefully, like trying to get someone to say his/her name, etc. We eventually found out it’s name WAS something unisex like ‘Taylor.’ One Kristin was referring to it to another employee and used the pronoun “he” and they didn’t say anything or look at us funny so we determined that it was a male. Good ol’ Figuredo’s.