CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Book Review:The Secret Life of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
SPOILER ALERT! Thank heavens no one died! I hate stories about the south/civil rights/race relations because you KNOW there will be injustice and most likely an innocent black man/boy/girl/child will die. And I really can't handle any more of those stories.

Luckily this didn't have that. It didn't really have much of anything else, either. I mean, for the fact that it was on the best-seller's list and then got made into a movie, I thought it was going to be outstanding. I give it a one-shouldered shrug.

However, reading this I've discovered that I'm destined to live in the south. Reasons? #1)I love cornbread. I know this is a huge stereotype. But I do love it. #2) I love things made with and cooked in fat/lard. And that's where all the flavor is. Am I right or am I right, Lynn? And #3) I like saying "Sir" and "ma'am". I'm not consistent, but I do like saying it. And I want my daughter to say it.

Anyway, the book was a snooze, but the cornbread I'm currently eating is delicious!!

6 comments:

Beth said...

Mmmmm, cornbread. Yes, much better than this book. I didn't get what the hype was about. Mostly I remember reading the F-word more times than I wanted to (remember, I'm the prude) and wondering why our Relief Society book club picked it (yes, I'm one of THOSE R.S. book club members!)

Lynn said...

You are so right! You would make such a good southerner. Get on down here and I'll make you a batch of my crisco cookies!

hil said...

what? nobody dies? somebody dies in the movie! (yeah, i watch instead of read. it's just how i roll). lame. and even with the death, it was a pretty boring movie.

Amy said...

MMmmmmmm...cornbread!! I should go make some. Sounds like a book I'll skip. Woot! More time to finish Young Woman and the Sea!

Hoolie said...

mmm Cornbread.

Anonymous said...

Easily I acquiesce in but I contemplate the post should secure more info then it has.