CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 20, 2008

Toilet Troubles


I don't clean toilets. I don't know if you have read on my side bar that I spend my days trying to get out of cleaning the toilets in our house. I don't do them. I will do everything else in order to get out of cleaning the toilets. I will wash the showers, scrub the floors, clean the sinks, do the mirrors, wipe the walls. I'll do all the laundry, fold it and put it away. I'll do all the dishes, make dinner and then clean the kitchen. I'll vacuum all the floors bathe the dog and then put the baby down for a nap. I will do all of this and and all Marcelo has to do is clean the toilets.

(Actually I don't put Marcelo's clothes away. I just fold them and put them in a basket for him to put away himself) But I do all these other things and I HAPPILY do it in order to get out of cleaning the toilets. That's how much I hate cleaning them.

Old roommates will remember that every time we would have cleaning days, I would trade with the other person who was doing the other bathroom and I would do their shower AND their sink in order to get out of doing the toilet. I cannot emphasize how much I hate cleaning toilets.

Why? Did I always have this aversion? Yes. It comes from growing up in my house. Let me tell you a story. See when we first moved into our house back in 1993, we put in new vinyl flooring in the bathroom. We actually hired a professional to do this because at the time we didn't know how to do it ourselves. And I don't know if you know how easy they are to install. I have probably PERSONALLY installed about 15 of them. And I can tell you that it is NOT difficult to remove and re-install the toilet. But this bonehead decides to CUT AROUND the toilet.

And of course, we needed a new toilet in about 5 years. Why is that? Well, because of the BFTT's of course. What are the BFTT's you ask? Well, those are the Bingham Family Toilet Troubles. And boy do we have them. We are notorious for clogging toilets, spending great blocks of time in the bathroom on the toilet and more than one of us have had a serious "explosion" issue at one time or another.

But back to my story. I'm sure we got the toilet because we were clogging the previous one so much. But there was a slight problem: The base of this new toilet was a narrow oval. But the previous toilet was a more boxy angular one. And because the vinyl had been CUT around, this mean that there was now plywood exposed at the base of our toilet.

Again, maybe you are all thinking "So what?" Well, there is one more thing you need to know. the 3 men living in the house had no aim whatsoever when it came to peeing in the toilet. Actually, my father was a raging diabetic for probably 6 years and he never knew. He would just keep getting up 4-5 times a night to go pee. (You would think that the fact that he wasn't pregnant but still peeing as much as a pregnant woman does would've made him realize that something is wrong) Anyway, in order to keep from waking up all the way, he would just whip it out and start peeing in the general direction of the toilet. He would listen until he could hear the sound of his pee hit the water and then he would know where to continue to go.

I'm not making this stuff up. Every morning there was a puddle around the toilet. We actually used to have a trash can next to the toilet by my mom moved it after she would routinely find inches of urine in it week after week. And it would mold over. It was really nasty. AAAND it would seep down into the plywood and just sit there. The plywood would soak it up and there was no way you could get it out. You would scrub and scrub and it didn't matter. Actually, once you cleaned the bathroom, the moist wood would release the odor that had been"fresh locked" in and it would be terrible. Who else's bathroom smells worse AFTER you clean it? But ours did.

And of course the boys never had to clean the bathrooms. They never had to clean up after themselves, so they never worried about peeing on the outside of the toilet. Our bathroom always smelled of urine. ALWAYS. 365 days a year. And we only had one bathroom, so there wasn't like any other option to where we could go to pee. Because of this, I became the world's fastest peer. I can be in and out of the bathroom in 40 seconds, and that INCLUDES the washing of the hands. There is nothing worse then sitting down and having the dank old smell of urine waft up to you from the floorboards.

So basically, I don't clean toilets because of the smells associated with them. But I have a wonderful husband. He NEVER MISSES the toilet. Since living with him, we have never had a toilet that smells like stale week-old urine. And even if we did, he would clean it up because, well, did I mention that I don't clean toilets?

And finally,the other toilet trouble we have is that we tend to drop our phones in the toilet. It must be a family habit. My mom has lost 2 in there in the last 6 months. And Jules just lost her phone in there last week when she was home. My mom could fish hers out but not Jules. Hers was REALLY lost. It got jammed in the pipe and they had to buy a new toilet cause it wouldn't come out.

Ha! Now that's a REAL toilet trouble.

6 comments:

Mindy Burns said...

I don't quite remember you getting out of toilet cleaning, but I remember you REFUSED to clean your hair off the shower walls- even though we asked you EVERYDAY!!! It STILL freaks me out and reminds me of you when I see a hair in my shower!! That is MY pet peeve, so maybe I should've made you clean up my toilet because I had to clean up your hair in the shower!!!!!! :) Good times.......One other thing, I am just so hoping you have some boys and then I can't WAIT until you have to potty train them...The first trick I taught Wyatt is: tuck and pee! No pee on the floors yet!

Ali said...

I didn't remember that the hair thing pissed you off so much!! I'm not surprised though, however. See when I was on my mission my best friend/missionary companion didn't know I put my hair on the wall. That's because the walls of our shower were black. She later found out the day before I went home from my mission because I stayed with her that night before I left. She told me that if she had know that 6 months ago our friendship would've ended before it even started.

Wanna know something funny? I still do it. In my bathroom right now is a nice little collection on the wall. It doesn't bother Marcelo very much, so he lets me leave it there for days then then take care of it at my leisure.

We totally should've traded something for the hair on the wall. Like every morning you removed my hair I had to put all your millions of pillows back on the bed.

Outwardly I made fun of those pillows. But inwardly I coveted the dedication it took to built the pyre of pillows every day. And then when you wanted to take a nap, you didn't want to disturb the pile so you would just curl up on the foot of your bed and sleep with your blanket.

Aw man!! I loved freshman year!! I'm still sorry about the hair.

hil said...

ah, the hair on the wall. still, in hindsight, i forgive the hair on the wall (thank goodness i have an ocd and would never have leaned against the shower wall to feel your fur coat in the making) because you cleaned the trashcan mysterious brown spot without batting an eye. man, you could clean a mysterious brown spot in a toilet paper trashcan, but not a toilet? you are something of an enigma, my love. by the way, you look beautiful in your chonie picture. your hair is so cute and you are totally losing weight. bastard! you look awesome.

Lynn said...

So this comment should be on your last post, but I wasn't sure if you'd see it or not (do you get an email when someone comments on your blog? I have no idea). Harold B. Lee met his wife on his mission. Here is is from Wikipedia (the world's most reliable source:)

While on his mission, Lee met a sister missionary from Utah, Fern Lucinda Tanner. They renewed their acquaintance when they returned from their missions and were married on November 14, 1923 in the Salt Lake Temple.

So you may burn in Hell, but not because you met on your mission:)

Mindalynn said...

I remember that you hated cleaning toilets, but I didn't remember (didn't fully know?) WHY you hated them so. Disgusting. I can totally understand your aversion now.

I also remember the hair-on-wall friction freshman year. I actually sometimes would remove your hair FOR you from the shower wall--not because it bothered me, but because I knew it would cause a fuss with the others. So, you're welcome. ;) I didn't remember that it was Mindy Weisenburger's pet peeve though--I thought it was Catherine's...maybe it was both.

Beth said...

For some reason I don't remember that about cleaning checks. But the story -- disgusting! Ew, ew, ew. I'm so sorry, and I don't blame you for having an aversion to toilet cleaning. I would say, Alicia, just clean an already-mostly-clean toilet and surely you'll cure yourself of your fear, but then again, if Marcelo will clean them for you, why rock the boat? ;-)