CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 16, 2008

. . . Now I'm a believer

I love Reagan. I mean, I love lots of people, but Reagan ranks right up there with Judd and wedding cake. If I had to choose between the three of them I don't think I could. I think my dream day would be sitting down in Judd's living room with Reagan on the brown couch, me on the red lounger and Judd on the main red couch, all of us watching our girls run around, and a big plater of wedding cake for us to eat. I would love that.

So back to my point. I got to spend 3 amazing days with Reagan. Her husband was out of town for a conference and she invited me out to her house to spend 3 days and 2 nights of heaven. There were cookies and panini's on garlic bread (with JalapeƱo jelly) and spinach dip and trips to the gym and fusion classes.

It. Was. Heaven.

We had the best time. But the absolute best thing that came out of it was my child's nighttime habits. See, When I saw my pediatrician on the 8th, I asked him about when my child should be sleeping thought the night. He said that some kids already are. That made me feel badly. And he said that if she was getting up to eat, that was fine, but if she was getting up to just play around, then that was NOT good.

Well, that very night she got up and was just cooing and playing and being 100% cute. She sucks in her father and he plays with her at all hours of the night. When I stopped and thought about it, I realized that she was waking up 3-4 times in the night and that this just wouldn't do anymore. She didn't need that much food, and she was just playing (with her father of course) most of those times. I decided then and there that we have to stop this.

See, for a while, I didn't care if she woke up in the night. I mean, I'm a stay at home mom, what do I need to worry about? I can sleep during the day if I need to, right? And I really didn't care If she didn't sleep through the night. But Reagan said something that really stuck with me. She said that kids NEED a schedule and that they want it. I had to agree with her. All those kids that are trained to sleep instantly upon hitting the crib always seem to be happier. Like they know what's coming and their lives are a little less chaotic.

Anyway, Saturday night I decided to try it out. It was horrible. She screamed for an hour. And I learned one thing: Marcelo is TONS weaker then me. He was the one sabotaging the plan. He would come and stand over her crib with his arms folded and then look at me and say, "should I bring her to you?" HA!! What a wuss!! The next day I felt like crap because she was slightly hoarse. And I decided I couldn't do it. I didn't want her screaming all the time and I just couldn't. So Sunday I didn't let her cry. And she was up at 2, 4, 6 and the finally at 8 am.

When Reagan heard this she was not having it. She said that this was the time to get her on schedule because Marcelo wouldn't be there to fight it. I won't tell you all the ins and outs of that first night. But let me just say that 4:45 found me sleeping on the floor, bawling my eyes out, listening to my baby scream for the next hour and 45 minutes. I finally took pity on her and fed her at 6 am after which she slept just fine. Well. That was the worst day. She was TOTALLY hoarse the next day. Not just a little bit, her voice was GONE. I felt horrible, but knew this was the only way.

But every day since then has been so much easier!! And last night she only had to cry for 5 minutes, and she put herself to sleep! And I'm bundling her. She LOVES it!! It's her "sign". Once I pin her arms to her sides, she looks up at me with those doe eyes and she's ready to sleep. Oh, I love my girl when she's my little comatose caterpillar.

So, I'm a believer. She gets one feeding around 2 am (sometimes it's 1, sometimes it's later) but that's the last one. If she wakes up after that, she's all alone. I'll bind her again and stick in the "chupa" and let her go. And it's working!! Oh man, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. And my baby will be happier for it. Well, that's what I keep telling myself when I hear her screaming.

Oh, and we gave her some food for the first time yesterday. Sweet potatoes. She makes a horrible face when she sees the spoon coming. I need to get it on film. Tomorrow we are going to try bananas and see if she likes those any more. But right now I think that her thrust reflex hasn't let up yet. Hence the fact that the food doesn't want to go down.

Anyway, I'm a believer of good sleep!! I wish I would've done this months ago. Thanks Reagan for being a good friend and making me do it!!

7 comments:

Gooch Family said...

Oh I hear ya! It's a must and trust me your life will be SO much better when she is sleeping better. There is nothing better when 6 or 7pm rolls around and you can put them to sleep and know they won't be getting up til 6 or 7 the next day! All that time to yourself and your husband and oh, it's just amazing. The day will come, don't you worry. If she gets up in the middle of the night, she needs to know it's still sleep time, so slap Marcelo's hand if he tries to play with her because otherwise she will never figure out when is bedtime and when is naptime. Don't even talk to her, just feed her in the barely lit room, snuggle her a little, then lie her back down. That's my 2 cents. Glad to hear you had a blast. I'm sure it was much needed and it's always great to have good friends to laugh and hang out with!!

Amy said...

COngrats. Holy cow, that's a big step. Besides making your baby happier, I know it sure made ME a whole lot happier getting more sleep! Now where are some more adorable pictures of her?

Reggs said...

YAYAYAY!!! I love you, too mijita! Just in case anyone was wondering, Alicia is truly a fantastic mother. She would tear up listening to Evi fuss. It truly is a testament to how much she adores and cares for her little one.

Honestly, I felt a little guilty, like I had been lecturing you, or pushing you into doing something you didn't want to do. I really do hope I helped you and Evelyn sleep just a little bit better without being pushy.

For me, it was just a matter of laziness. "Kid, I know you'd love to wake up and eat 4 times a night, but I'd rather you just sleep so I can sleep. So you shall scream for a few nights, and we will all suffer. But in the end we'll be better rested and happier."

And I had a total BLAST with you too!! And we WILL make pilgrammage to Judd's house and do the wedding cake thing. That sounded DREAMY!!

Beth said...

YAY for sleeping more!! It is too hard to get up more than once with a baby every night. So glad things are getting so much better! HOORAY sleep!!

hil said...

i was totally jealous of your party until i learned that it was also a baby learns to sleep party. that is the hardest thing on a mother. you are doing the right thing---it sounds lame, but my life totally changed after Darby started sleeping through the night (at about a year old, seriously). it makes such a difference in the way you feel and the way you feel about your marriage. sometimes it's hard to remember that you have a spouse and not just somebody else who lives with you. this is really important and i'm proud of you for toughing it out. it's like a mother's rite of passage. i hope you are feeling happy and doing well. can't wait to lounge on my couch with you lovely ladies and eat some cake. i could use something like that and that's the best idea i've heard all day.

Mindy Burns said...

My favorite person in the whole world is my friend Heather, because she TAUGHT me how to let Coralee cry through 3 whole nights so that she could sleep through the night. I don't think I could have survived one more day in Vermont waking up all night to nurse my baby in a crappy little FREEZING apartment with Brian in medical school. She SAVED my life!!! And I'm glad she taught me how to do it with one sweet little baby, because before I knew it, I had to get TWO babies to sleep through the night. Crying it out a few nights was the only way! Sad, but I'm a believer too. You're not hurting them- you're teaching them! Good job Alicia!!! Now post some more pictures. Doesn't Elvis sing a song that goes like this, "A little less conversation and a lot more action?" I'll replace action with PICTURES!!! :)

anderson.fam said...

Way to go Mama! I guess I would wake up during the night too if I knew someone was going to feed me milkshake!
I had you tagged for the "one word" response, but chickened out at the last minute. Not that I'm afraid of you or anything. ;)