CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I've never been really into Christmas. My family doesn't have any traditions surrounding Christmas except one: we eat Chinese food on Christmas Eve. And if you really think about it, that's not too much. There's no Nativity re-enactment, no caroling into the wee hours, no reading of the Christmas Story in Luke, or even in the Book of Mormon.

We just don't do anything. I don't know if it's because of my father. See he was never into Christmas and almost always he would work on Christmas Day (he would get paid triple overtime to work on that day. So it was a win-win for him. He got to be away from his kids, spend the day bashing heads AND make money. So really it was a win-win-win)

Anyway, because we never really did anything cool on Christmas, I don't really feel any special attachment to the day. I mean, in the past Christmas was up there with the 4th of July or even like Halloween. I mean, free candy? Dressing up? Oh yeah, growing up Halloween was MUCH better than Christmas.

And then I started working for the she-beast. The succubus of fun. The black hole of holidays. When Lynn wanted a DAY yo go home to visit her VERY sick father (who might not see another Christmas), Jean didn't want to give it to her. (Surprise surprise, right?) And so holidays were never high on my list, other than for the reason that I got to get away from that horrible job. But I've always known that I had to go back.

But this year? This year, my friends, I get to ENJOY the Holidays. We will be starting with a little Halloween time. We have a baby to take around and everyone can ohhh and ahh at her and say she's adorable even though she's not going to be wearing a cute outfit. (I won't waste money on an outfit this year. She can't even walk!!) And we will spend some time with the ward and with friends. Maybe some spiced cider, friends?

And then we have some Thanksgiving time. The party is going to be coming here. Well, everyone but Sarah and Jeff. So 4 of the 6 kids and their families will be there. And guess where we will be having the dinner. Just guess. Not in my little rat-hole apartment. No-sir-ee. We are going to MaxKyle's huge house. All his roommates will be gone and we have the whole place to ourselves. We can get buck WILD with the turkey (and side dishes) and watch their large screen TV all day. I'm very excited.

Plus we don't have to worry about the "two dinners" like we tried to do last year. If you remember, last Thanksgiving was the first time there was a "division" of activities between my parents. We tried to do something with both of them on that day, but it didn't really work out. So this year we aren't even pretending. There will just be one activity, one meal, and my dad can just sit alone and think about the fact that he has pushed all his kids away from him.

And then, my friends, Christmas. But wait!! First we have some Birthday celebrations! First there is Allen and then there is Reagan. And I'm very excited to sing all the songs to both of them. And of course there will be cake. And probably some presents. And some more cake.

And then to Texas for a REAL Christmas. There will be nativity re-enactments. And Chinese food. And fondue (Chad's tradition) and maybe some Christmas Day Hot Tubbin'. I don't even care about presents. They really don't matter.

The best present will be that I will have a Summit-Free Christmas. I don't have to worry about getting a present for everyone in the office. See everyone in the office always leaves it to the assistants to figure out what they will get Jean. And we are in charge of buying it, and paying for it and wrapping it and then *hopefully* we get paid back from everyone. And then there could be a bad situation like last year where Jean decided not to buy presents for the agents and then they call me and are like "uh, are we getting presents this year?" and it's SUPER uncomfortable for me. BUT I DON'T HAVE TO DO IT THIS YEAR!!! I should call the new assistant and let them know what they have to look forward to. I really think they should be warned.

But It's not me!! It's not my responsibility. I get to sit back and live it up at the houses of others and just enjoy being with my family. You know, what the holidays are all about! It truly is the most wonderful time of the year.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Hooray for Summit-free Christmases for both of us! Yes, that's right people, Jean gave me a total of 2 1/2 HOURS of Christmas vacation time, despite the fact that my dad was ill and I had to fly all the way to NC and back for Christmas. She actually had the nerve to tell me I needed to take a red eye flight back to Utah on Christmas, so that I could just fly all night and then come straight to the office. What a beeyotch. And she made me work on New Years, "cleaning" the office. Ugh, anyways, I am just so glad we are out of there. And I am so jealous of your Christmas plans! It sounds so fun! I' glad you don't have to do a double turkey day, I remember how much of a pain that was for you. And hooray for birthdays! OK, I know I have only met you once Reagan, but I have to confess, when I get bored and Alicia hasn't posted in awhile, I read your blog because it is really entertaining. I'm a blog stalker, sorry! Anyways, Alicia, we need to go get massages soon. I called my buddy today and left him a message about going to Provo College, so I will let you know what I find out. Maybe Evi can get a little baby massage as well! Happy pre-holiday festivities!

Beth said...

I cannot get over your boss. She's just ... yeah.

I'm glad you get to enjoy your holidays this year!