
Sunday night I started to get a sore throat. I was REALLY concerned that it was strep. That's because I spent about 3 hours in Reagan's house on Friday and her whole family had strep. Now, I don't think that Reagan is a dirty person, by any means. But all I had to do was touch ONE thing that hadn't been sanitized, and that would be the end of it.
However after I talked to her and compared symptoms, I decided it wasn't strep. And this was confirmed when the sore throat quickly gave way to congestion, a horrible PAINFUL cough with phlegm coming up, fever, chills, wheezing and my eyes being swollen with pain and pressure. I finally went to the doctor yesterday and they gave me an antibiotic prescription. I need to go pick it up at the pharmacy, but that involves like taking a shower, and maybe putting on clean underwear. And everyone KNOWS how overrated clean underwear is.
Also, because Jean is on a cruise this week, I haven't had the option of staying home those first few days I was getting sick. I've needed to be at work so I can train the new girls. But that will never help me get better, and so I decided to do something drastic today: I told a lie. I told them that my doctor said it was pneumonia and that I needed to do a 48 hour round of antibiotics before I come back to work. How bad is that of me? On a lie scale from 1 to 10, you know with the lowest being like when you tell a friend that her giant swollen ankles DON'T look like sausages about to pop out of their casings. That would be a 1. And a 10 is Jean and everything about her. So where does this little antibiotic lie fall on that scale?
So this is my current regimen: Halls, cough syrup (I checked with my OB to make sure it was ok to take) Vapo-rub, water and more Halls. I try not to do anything that will make me breathe too hard, because if I do that, my throat dries out and then I start coughing, and let me tell you, you do NOT want me to start coughing. I get going to hard that I puke, and then the things that come up are atrocious in color and consistency. Oh, it's not pretty.
I think that the WORST thing (well my worst thing anyway) is that my sense of smell is gone. That means that food is no longer appetizing because I can't taste it. So yesterday after Lisa and I went to the gym, I stopped at the Wal-Mart and got a GIANT King Sized Snickers Ice Cream Bar. (That was because Reagan always talked about how she ate them when she was pregnant, and I've been craving one for a few weeks now.)
I wasn't actually hungry, like I didn't really want to eat it, but my stomach was churning and telling me that I needed to eat something. So I inhaled the snickers, and then 2 packages of fruit snacks. But I really didn't want them. I also got a bunch of other junk food too, but I think it'll just sit in my car until I can smell it again and hence enjoy it. And that food thing is happening again right now. My stomach is telling me that it's empty, but I don't actually FEEL hungry. Maybe some toast. With jam. Raspberry
So why did Lisa and I go to the gym? Especially because I'm sick? Well, we went and just sat in the wet sauna. It was horrible at first because the walk to the gym from the car tore up my throat so badly with the freezing air, but the moment I got into that wet sauna, it was like a different person sitting there. My voice changed, my nose cleared, and it was HEAVENLY. I need to go do that every day. It's the only way to make myself feel better these days.
So, that is my goal for today: recover, go to the wet sauna, and try not to talk or even breathe too much. No one ever got anywhere by breathing.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Sick, Sick, SICKENING, Sick
Posted by Ali at 9:57 AM
Labels: Confessions, Pregnancy, Sick
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I would just like to point out that I think this is Jean's 3rd cruise since I met her. Not to mention the 50 million other vacations she takes, while you have gotten no vacation since I have known you. You should have said he told you that you had to stay in bed for a week. Oh, well, soon you will be on a permanent vacation from there. But, I think you should take your vacation days before you go, so that you have to be there as little as possible. And I LOVE the sauna! It is the most relaxing thing ever, minus the annoying 19 year old high maintenance girls that always seem to walk in wearing bikinis and proceed to talk at top volume the entire time they are there. One time they did that when my friend and I were in there, and she farted. Since it's so hot, it multiplied the potency by 1000 and they freaked out and left. So moral of the story is go to the sauna, let one rip, and enjoy the peacefulness.
Besides the fact that we sat too close to the steam outlet and about had our skin steamed off of our bones......the sauna was awesome! The hot tub.....as always, grossed me out. Hope you are on the mend soon, Alicia! I'm happy to take another trip to the gym with you anytime!
Way to go! I'm surprised she didn't ask for a note from your doctor
Post a Comment