
So I'm currently reading this book that you see appearing to the right of my words. I'm going to admit that I TOTALLY pick books based on their cover. And this one grabbed me.
I'm only on page 45, but I am SUCKED IN. It's about the first woman who swam the English Channel and how she did it hours faster than any man had ever done it. (At that time, that is)
Anyway, I'm not done yet but I found the funniest story on page 34. Apparently, there was a very "Pro-American" push around the time of the first world war. And many of the immigrants (especially those of German descent) were feeling the pressure to prove their loyalty to America whilst it was fighting against the Motherland.
Anyway, here is a quote:
"Foods such as sauerkraut temporarily became know as 'liberty cabbage,' German measles was referred to as 'liberty measles,' and even the most ubiquitous of American foods with a German heritage-the hamburger-temporarily became know as the 'liberty sandwich.'
Ha!! Does that remind you of the "freedom fries" debacle that was going around a while ago? Anyway, this book is awesome!! I'm not even 15% through it and I'm dying to get back to it right now. So I will leave you so I can go back to reading.
And for dinner tonight? I think I'll have a liberty sandwich with a side of freedom fries. And of course I'll hold on the Benedict Arnold mayonnaise. "
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Currently Reading
Posted by Ali at 5:08 PM
Labels: Book Review, Food, My Favorite Things
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
as i was reading what you were writing about all the liberty foods, i was thinking about freedom fries! i eat them a lot, you know, because i'm patriotic.
I've long suspected that the Germans were all wanna-bes.
Post a Comment