Marcelo got in a car accident on Thursday. He was going to pick up our rent check from our tenants, and he was on 800 South right by the Maverick on State Street. Well, as you ALL know, there are two lanes going west, and Marcelo was in the more left side lane. The person in the right lane had stopped because someone was trying to leave the parking lot on the South side. She was trying to get out so she can head west on 800 South.
So the car on the right stops and waves the car to pass. Note to people who want to do this: DO NOT DO THIS!! YOU HAVE NO EFFECT ON THE OTHER CARS IN THE OTHER LANES! THEY MIGHT NOT STOP, AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. YOU RUN THE RISK OF CAUSING AN ACCIDENT.
And they did. The car came shooting out of the parking lot trying to cross those lanes as quickly as possible. Well, my husband was just minding his business, going the speed limit, wearing his seatbelt and BAM! A car pops out in front of him and he smashes into it head-on. Airbags deploy. Marcelo's memory of the next few minutes is somewhat fuzzy, but he's sure of the following things: Airbags hurt coming out. Cars can pop out of no where when you least expect them. And the fastest way to the fullest, most plumpy lips is to have them burned by deploying airbags.
So here are some pictures:
(I sadly didn't get a picture of the burned plump lips. By the time I arrived, the swelling had gone down. Nothing interesting to see. Sorry about the tease there)
For some reason we didn't get a picture of her car. But there was very little damage done at all. Her driver's side corner and wheel were banged up, but other than that her car looked almost perfect. She had to be towed also because it jacked up her wheel and axle.
So I get a call from Marcelo that he needs a ride. When I got there, I was VERY surprised to find a very nice girl who looked about my age. We later found out that she has a 17 year old daughter which she had when she was 18. HOLY CRAP!! Why do people get married so young here? Honestly, Marcelo and I both thought that she was YOUNGER than me. I would've put her age at 26 tops. Out of control.
Anyway, as you can tell, things were very good and hospitable between the two of us. Police had been called to fill out a report, and they were nearly done when I got there. I of COURSE brought the baby who looked gorgeous and slept through the whole thing. I Thought I might need some "sympathy" because at the time of the call, I wasn't sure who's fault the accident was. Marcelo *said* it was hers, but you never know!! So I thought the kid might soften him up. (Free prize to the person who can name where that quote comes from. Judd can do it immediately , but she might not comment for a while, so you still have a chance to win the prize) But I didn't need it because the girl took full responsibility for the whole thing from the start and made everything so great.
Yesterday we started calling all the insurance companies and BOTH companies have been great. When does that happen? They got a rental car for Marcelo, insisted he go to the doctor and have been very great in communicating every step of the way. I actually learned today that the repairs might be more than the car is worth, so they just might give us a check for the price of the car.
That is good and bad. It's good because it means new, non smelly car. However, it's bad because we don't have a car payment right now!! And I don't want one!!! And if we do get another car, we definitely will have a payment. I was really looking forward to having that car forever and driving it into the ground. There were already like 130,000 miles on it! And it was still in great condition. Oh well.
I'm trying to look at the good things. One of them is that Marcelo is safe. Another one is that we weren't in the car with him and so we weren't hurt. DEFINITELY a blessing. And did I mention I have a beautiful baby? Wanna see some more pictures of her? OK!!
Notice the spittle glistening off her mouth. She's really loving playing with her tongue and in doing it she pushes lots of saliva out of her mouth. But she just looks so cute. She's laughing and cooing and giggling all the time. She's got her mom and dad enchanted. And who can blame them?
Anyway, accidents do happen. But we are happy that this one had somewhat of a happy ending.
Friday, August 1, 2008
Accidents Happen!!
Posted by Ali at 8:12 PM
Labels: A funny thing happened, Evelyn, Marcelo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Holy cow! I'm glad Marcelo is okay!! Bummer about the car, though. Do you still have your Honda CRV? Or is this your only car?
Oh my gosh! I can't believe your luck with cars! Glad Marcelo is ok and that you guys weren't in the car when it happened!! It was great to see you and your little monkey - she is so cute!
Post a Comment