CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 30, 2007

New Year Resolutions

Last year I gave myself some ridiculous goals. I don't know what they were, but I didn't complete a single one, so I'm sure they were ridiculous. Actually, I think that one of my goals was to get pregnant. So I got that one!! ONE GOAL COMPLETED!!! WHOO HOOO!

So this year I'm going set some goals that I actually have the chance of completing!!! Here they are in no particular order:

Stop using apostrophes incorrectly: I'm a smart girl. I got good grades in school, and now I can hold my own in a highbrow conversation. But I've started noticing something about myself: I can't spell and I use apostrophes incorrectly. Those in my office will remember the "admonent" and "adamant" episode. But in regards to apostrophes, I've started noticing that I use them incorrectly every once in a while. Like just now I wrote at the top of this topic "Stop using apostrophe's incorrectly." NO JOKE!! Luckily I read it, recognized the irony and fixed it before posting.

Read more: I read my old roommate Beth's blog and noticed how she keeps a track of all the pages she's read for the year. I thought that would be fun and motivate me to read more. I'm actually right in the middle of TWO books with a third one just waiting to be picked up. I am SHOCKED that Beth reads during those 3 am feedings with her second child. I thought that was crazy the first time I read about it. But then I realized the brilliancy of the situation: if I'm up why not use the time?

Exercise more: I know, Reagan and Judd think that you should only exercise if you are being chased or if you are running to get the last corn dog at the Arctic Circle.

TANGENT SIDE STORY ALERT!! Yesterday I was starving because I waited WAY too long to eat. I was getting really nauseated from the lack of food. So I went to the Arctic Circle and got 2 (count 'em TWO!) Corn dogs, fries and a lime rickey. And I had to wait a while. You know what that means? THEY FRIED UP MY CORN DOGS FRESH! Delicious.

EXCEPT that when I got halfway through the first corn dog and realized that while the outside was hot, crispy and deliciously fried, the innermost core of the actual DOG was still cold. Not frozen, but obviously it was frozen before it hit the frier. Wanna know something sad. I STILL ate it!! And the second dog as well, which ALSO had a somewhat chilly core temp.

So maybe I should make a resolution not to eat fried foods that haven't been warmed all the way through. But who are we kidding? I'm determined to KEEP my resolutions this year. And we all know I'd eat a freshly fried chilly core again in a second. The only thing I regret about the meal was that I only got a small lime rickey and not a medium.

Back to the exercise resolution. Well, I heard something on the news about how exercise is the great diabetic preventative. And seeing is how everyone in my family has type II diabetes, and I don't want it, I thought it would be a great way to stave of foot amputation for a few more years. Also, I heard on ANOTHER news station that regular exercise was the best preventative to death. They said that people who exercised lived longer than those who didn't exercise, no matter what their weight or the amount of belly fat they had. (Previously it was postulated that the amount of belly fat you had determined how soon you would have a heart attack and also your life expectancy)

So that's why my new goal is NOT to lose weight, but to be able to run for 45 minutes without stopping. I didn't say how FAST I wanted to run, but just 45 minutes of continuity would be enough. Or I can be like my old neighbor who walks EVERYWHERE she goes. You always see her out walking with her kids. She makes me really aware of my laziness, and motivates me to do that after I get this baby into the world.

Watch less TV: Finally, I want to stop watching unnecessary TV. I think this will play into my goal of reading more. But I want to put my favorite shows on TiVo and that's it. I don't want to watch anything except my pre-recorded shows. Oh, and not watch re-runs that I've already seen. (The ironic thing about this is that as I type, I am currently watching a Law & Order:SVU marathon where I've seen all the shows already. But I'm not really paying attention to them. I'm updating my blog!)

So that's it. I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

hil said...

Seriously Bing, you use words like "postulate" where the rest of us would use words like "assume" or "figure", so i think you can forgive yourself of a few apostrohpical errors! you are so intelligent and have a phenomenal vocabulary. and here's a helpful new year's resolution tip---each year, one of my resolutions is to actually cumplir with a resolution. that way, if you keep one of them, you've actually kept two of them! that's just bien efficaz. only, last year, the only resolution i ever made was to keep one of my resolutions, but then i forgot to make other resolutions. and i wasn't even pregnant! you should have 2 resolutions: 1) have a baby and 2) keep a resolution. see, you can't lose! happy New Year, Nena!

Beth said...

Hey, you mentioned me!! I feel famous. :-)

About the reading-while-nursing thing -- sometimes it was very doable (though it would have to be a real fluffy book) and it's the reason I read so much when Logan was little ... but there are plenty of times where I was so tired that reading simply wasn't an option. During the day, though, I found it to be a welcome diversion! (Sorry, you can only stare lovingly at your baby for so long!)

Good luck with your goals!