CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 30, 2009

Non-Book Review: Blech

I'm not going to do it. I don't want to read this. I thought I "had to" based on the fact that it was a classic and everyone says that you "have to read the classics." I don't want to.

I read lots of reviews online and they all seem to say the same thing: This book's main point is that war is bad. However, it tries to convince the reader of this using a lot of sex, violence, profanity and apathy for human suffering.

Sorry, I just don't want to read it!! I think that by reading Catch-22 in high school I filled my quota of "War is bad. War is senseless. But someone can write about it in a humorous way" books. (Seriously, Catch-22 is really funny. And it doesn't use the phrase "So it goes" 163 times, which apparently is what happens in Slaughterhouse-five)

Anyway, did you read it? Can you tell me what I'm missing out on?

3 comments:

Reggs said...

didn't read it, and not planning on it either. Good luck!

Nate Judd said...

I've read it and I really really liked it. The first chapter was so weird that I didn't think I'd be able to finish it but after I pushed through that first chapter, it's really interesting/weird/genius/psycho (take your pick).
"Slaughter-House-Five" is actually now on my top favorite book list.
I think you might enjoy it. Give it a chance and just go with the flow.

hil said...

all i know is that the venerable Kevin Bacon, acting as Ren McCormick in Footloose said it's a classic "in any town." i don't know about you, but when Ren McCormick talks, i listen. especially if a phenomenal dance scene will soon ensue. that's all i'm saying.