
At our family Reunion last week, my sister produced a book for myself and my niece to read and enjoy. It was called Curly Girl and it talks about the care and maintenance of curly hair, which all three of us have.
And while my hair is much MUCH less curlier than my sister's or my niece's, it's interesting to learn about the different things this woman suggests for those with curly hair who like to wear their hair curly.
First, she thinks that everyone with curly hair SHOULD wear their hair curly! So you should immediately throw out your flat iron, blow dryer (for straightening purposes, that is) and other like hair torture devices. She gives a few products to use, but she never comes out and gives NAMES. I wish she would just give a NAME! I mean "spray gel" what is that? Does leave in conditioner count as spray gel? What about a root booster? What about mousse? Can I put some in a spray bottle, fill it with water and call it "spray gel?" Also, she says your conditioner is very important (as you will see why in a minute) and so you need to make sure your conditioner is good quality and has all these things in it. Like emollients and humectants and the like. But she never says WHERE we can find these conditioners. Do I have to go to a salon? Does Pantene have these in them? Can you just give me a list of "acceptable" conditioners, PLEASE? (I understand, legally, why she can't do this. But it's still quite annoying for us in the real world who is trying to wrestle a 2 year old octopus-child in a shopping cart. Those people don't have 30 min to read the back of every bottle of shampoo to check if it contains the certain chemical formula she says to look for. Come on! Help a sister out!)
Moving on. She advocates throwing away ALL shampoo. She says shampoo is too rough on hair anyway, and is a disaster for curly hair which is much dryer than straight hair. So using your fingers, some conditioner and a little time in the shower is how your hair will get clean. And she says you can keep a little shampoo around for "spot cleaning" like you would spot clean a nice sweater. But never the whole head.
I don't know how I feel about all of her techniques. Like the certain way to cut the hair. I don't have hundreds of dollars to go and find the perfect hair stylist that will "talk" to each individual curl and find out where it wants to lay. Because to have everything PERFECT, I have to find the the Bob Ross of hair cutters. "Where does this tree want to be? How about right here. A happy little tree right here just coming out of the water." Nope, sorry. No time or money for that one.
However I would have to say that after about a week of doing what she says, I see a definite difference in my hair. I have less of a "halo" around my head because my hair tends to not be so dry. And I haven't had to use any dandruff shampoo for this whole time either! The moisturizing conditioner and my agitation while I scrub my head seems to be breaking up the loose skin cells and yet keeping things nice and moist. It really is making my curls cuter and more defined. I'm a believer. Until someone tells me my head smells from lack of shampoo, that is.
But seriously, what is spray gel? JUST ONE LITTLE NAME BRAND, PLEASE!?!?
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Curly Girl
Posted by Ali at 8:16 AM
Labels: Bingham Family, Book Review, My Favorite Things
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I wholeheartedly agree that reading labels in a grocery store with children is impossible!! Too bad she can't include some actual recommendations. Maybe you could Google ingredients ahead of time?
So I just want to say that I thought your hair was looking good last time I saw you (a few months ago now, but still). I like the length.
Also, I like Bob Ross. It makes me smile that you mention him in this post, and not even for his hair. Nathan had never watched Bob Ross until a few nights ago, when we caught him on reruns on some random PBS channel.
I think you consistently make me laugh with every post. I thank you. And since I have curly hair I found this post most interesting. I'm hoping the library has that book 'cause I'd be happy to have some tips.
I love that you wear your hair curly. Also, octopus-child is SUCH a great visual!
My old roommate (who had curls that I coveted for the 2 years I lived with her) swore by the Garnier curl products. I hate you people with curly hair because you don't have to dry it and it looks super cute. If I don't dry my hair, it just gets wavy/frizzy. JEALOUS!
Yay, Bob Ross! May he rest in peace.
I too am jealous of your curly hair. Remember how you used to think you *didn't* have curly hair? Ha ha ha!
Interesting idea about the shampoo--do you think it applies to all hair or just to curly? Do you end up with a residue built up from all the conditioner though?
yes, your hair is beautiful. i'm glad you've found some tips that you like. i agree with Lynn that it's unfortunate to have to blow dry my striaght hair every day. if i don't blow dry my hair, i look like Mary Stuart Masterson in Some Kind of Wonderful. it wasn't her finest asthetic hour.
Thanks for the tips!! I am always struggling with Piper's hair, so I'll have to pick up this book. It will be difficult to get out of the shampoo cycle, but it's worth a try!
Can't wait to see your new 'do. :)
OH and we own spray gel, I know Garnier makes it. They also make a curling gel, and a curling mousse.
Post a Comment