CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Diga. . .DIGA!!!


The Bibi doesn't talk. I know I have mentioned this before, but apparently my pediatrician just became aware of the fact and has referred us to a specialist.

We have now had 3 home visits by 4 different women. A lot of time they ask the same questions. And both on Tuesday and again today they played a lot of the same games. But they all come up with the same conclusion: A very bright child, ahead of schedule for problem solving, motor skills and logic. A bright child who can communicate in other ways, but just chooses not to talk.

See, Evi DOES communicate when she wants something. She points to the fridge, or pulls me over to the bedroom to point to her videos, or puts her shoes on and points to the door. I mean, that's pretty dang clear, right? And when I ask her to put her shoes on, she goes right and does it. She can point to things in books and can match items we give to her. She recognizes the names of things and does the commands i give her. And yet, no words!!

Sure, she makes sounds, like she'll make a "ma ma ma ma" sound sometimes, but she doesn't come to me and say, "mama, afuera" when she wants to go outside. or "mama, leche" when she wants milk. The kid just doesn't talk. She just refuses to.

And to answer your questions about sign language, I don't think that would help us at this time. It's not like she is frustrated. She makes her wants very clearly known. I know what she is saying (well, not really, but you know what I mean) so the sign language is kind of not needed at this point. I mean, it's for kids that need to get what they want. And she has no problem getting what she wants from pointing, dragging and gestures. So in a way, I guess she does her "own" signs.

Anyway, we'll probably have these visits for a little while longer. I'll let you know how they all go. But in the mean time, I'll just keep taking my kid outside when she puts her shoes on, brings me her coat and points to the door. It seems to be working for now.

8 comments:

Gooch Family said...

When Dave's nephew was younger he did the same thing. Then all of a sudden he just started saying everything. I wouldn't worry at all I bet she'll be the same way. She obviously knows what she's doing.

Beth said...

Yeah, I say you are doing what you can. Sounds like she totally can communicate! I'd just "give her words" when she's asking you for something -- you say "Outside? Go outside?" while she's pointing at the door. But I've watched enough videos on this blog to know you already do that. *shrug* Good luck!

Krista said...

WHAT?!! Your baby girl wants to do things how she wants to do them even if it's not how everyone else does it???!! Shocking. I wonder where she gets that from...

I think she is absolutely delicious and adorable.

georgiavargas said...

Did you know that Chris had speech therapy for a year too? MM Humm with Kids On The Move. Is it there where Eve is going? I think it really helped Chris. Remember you are raising a Bilingual Child. I bet your doctor told you this is common in Bilingual families!

Doug, Jen & the boys said...

Seriously, this was Gavin. He didn't say much beyond "uh oh", "oh no" and "dada" until he was close to three. He would kind of say things and I could understand what he wanted and he could understand everything.

Then, when he was ready he just started talking. And he has been this way with every single thing he has done - potty training, sleeping, writing, coloring, etc.

Amy said...

The situation would make me nervous, too (because that's a 1st-time mom's prerogative, right?) but it sounds like you're doing everything you can and that your girl is smart and capable, even if she doesn't "talk". Your girl is brilliant! No worries. As long as she's communicating, fabulous. My grandma likes to tell us about how my dad didn't talk AT ALL until he was 3 and then he spoke in complete sentences.

Reggs said...

Krista's comment made me laugh. :D

Plus, I love the picture you have for this post!! SO FUNNY!

Not only will she be talking soon, but she'll be talking BI-LINGUAL. All the other moms will be super jeal, including me. :)

Mindy Burns said...

Have they said anything about it having to do with having 2 languages in the home? I did a lot of research on that when Cora was born to know whether I should speak strictly Spanish to her and Brian only English, and I remember reading a lot about how it takes bilingual kids a lot longer to speak, but when they do, all of the sudden, they speak 2 languages- amazing! I wouldn't overly worry! She's your daughter- she's be super bright and I'm sure she'll be singing ABBA before you know it! :)