Last year we spent Christmas at my sister Sarah's house. Besides it being awesome and very accommodating for when people get sick (there's a bathroom on every floor and at every end of the house. At let me tell you, I needed every one!) but besides that, they have a great tradition about who the gifts come from.
At her house, they and the kids get not only presents from Santa, but also from Barack Obama, Nacho Libre, Spiderman and lots of other assorted celebrities/fake people. And I liked that. I mean, I don't think my kid would ever really think that Nacho Libre gave him a gift, so it might not be such a heart break when he learns that Santa isn't real either.
So, with a totally free conscious I've decided to steal Sarah's idea. And so Evi received many gifts this year from various people.
From Frank Lloyd Wright she received these blocks:

From Pablo Picasso this:
And from Jack Kerouac she received the following books:


You get the idea. I don't believe in threatening my kids with Santa. Because if they were really bad, I would never not bring them anything. So why threaten to do something I would never be willing to follow through? Doesn't that make me a liar? A stinking threatening liar?
Anyway, I think my kids will be so filled with Santa crap at school and I don't plan on bursting their little bubbles at age 3. But if they think Santa is bringing them presents, then they can also believe that the deceased Frank Lloyd Wright can also bring them building blocks.
Who's with me on this?
And thanks to Sarah and Chad for the idea. You are the greatest. Who did your kids get presents from this year?
Friday, January 8, 2010
Christmas Wrap-Up
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Haha -- I like that idea! And the gifts come from the perfect people, too.
I have never threatened with Santa (yes, that seems silly), but I must say that I don't fight it when Logan would bring it up: "I have to go to bed right now, right? 'Cause Santa's coming?? And he only comes when I'm asleep???" Um, why yes. Yes you really should put yourself to bed early. :-)
LOVE it!! That's hilarious! I really wanted Katelyn to get those blocks--why didn't Frank Lloyd Wright deliver to OUR house?! Apparently, the tags were wrong on our Magnadoodle because boring old Daddy gave that to Katelyn. Seriously, AWESOME idea.
So cool that Evi got books in Spanish! Love that she's bilingual (or will be for sure when she talks...)
I don't like the idea of threatening with Santa either. Katelyn wouldn't have gotten it this year anyway but I don't plan on ever doing that. But I have to agree with Beth, if it works miracles w/o even threatening...I'm all for it!
not sure how i feel about that or about Santa.
i like those blocks. does Evi love them?
Our kids were really into it this year. Santa left a few things and the stocking stuff, but they were excited that they received gifts from Nacho, the Sister, Wallace and Grommit and a few others. They laugh and look for the tag. I am so glad you did it this year. It used to be a funny thing that Chad and I did for each other, then we did it for the kids and they think it is so funny.
Post a Comment