CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Holiday Panic

I am in full panic mode. I haven't bought ANYTHING for anybody, and there are only like negative three days left before Christmas. (I'm kidding of course, there are actually 10 shopping days left.)

But there could be 110 days for all it means to me. I'm without transport for the next week or so. Marcelo has finals, and will be at school all day studying (Doesn't that sound awfully TAMN of me?) So I really don't know what I'm going to do.

Usually I get my inspiration while I shop. I see what is out there, and then that makes me think of other things to get other people, and it continues. I can get my shopping done quite quickly, but it involves me actually leaving the house.

I don't like shopping online, unless I'm specifically looking for something. I don't go online just to browse. It's overwhelming, distracting and too time consuming. Meaning I will waste all day looking at crap I don't really need. And instead of buying the presents I really wanted originally, I end up buying a DVD of Moulin Rouge. So I've learned to KISS. I log on, shop, and get off. Keep it simple, stupid.

But that's beyond the point now. I'm in full panic mode. Marcelo is so difficult to buy for! He's picky, and even if I get him something that he needs (like pants) I end up getting the wrong dye shade. It's really very horrible. But gift cards are like saying "I really don't know you. I'm very non-creative and I value our relationship at $15". Which is acceptable for the mail man. But not for spouses.

So, this is it. What do you think I should buy for the following people?
My Husband
My daughter
Myself
An un-named female family member that might read this blog and who I have for Secret Santa.
My mom.

Thank you for your help.

6 comments:

Reggs said...

When in doubt, buy BOOKS! You will always find something that appeals to every (holiday gift) palate. There are also lots of magazine subscriptions that is the gift that keeps on giving all year long!
GOOD LUCK!

Ali said...

I took Reagan's advice last year and got my secret santa a subscription to Shape magazine. It was a hit. And ironically, that's one thing I do have on my list for Evi. However, I'm mostly concerned about my S.S. this year. I can't get another gift subscription! Lame-o of me.

I think this is a great example of getting to know your family more during the year so you aren't faced with this problem come Christmas time. I knew there was something I forgot to do this year!!!

hil said...

what does TAMN mean? i'm totally distracted, trying different things. i've got the T-A- pegged at "tight ass." that's immediately where my mind goes. i love gift-cards. i like to go get my own present on someone else's dime! at least they are better than Bath and Body Works gift baskets (unless the person is a huge fan, then it's fine). how about the new Harry Potter? everyone wants that, especially the people who claim they don't want that.

Mindalynn said...

Hmmm, I was having a hard time with gifts this year too. My advice probably isn't too helpful, because everyone in my family is nerds, but I love to browse around on thinkgeek.com . I get TONS of stuff for my siblings there. But for, like sisters-in-law, I was pretty stumped. I ended up doing some super fuzzy socks from Old Navy and a can of suuuper gourment hot chocoloate (like, the stuff that is basically chocolate shavings rather than powder.) Kind of lame, but what can I say. For another sister in law, we're doing a photo-gift from snapfish--a recent vacation pic with her in it on a mousepad. That's kind of lame-o too, actually. Photo-gifts tend to work better for, like, grandparents. For my husband, I'm getting him some super nice pillows--the same ones they have at Marriotts because when we stay there ($35 on priceline oh yeah!) he always comments on how nice the pillows are...

Okay so this is really long on probably not very helpful. Sorry. Good luck anyway!

Mindalynn said...

Hey--speaking of Christmas and you, are you going to be in Utah for the holidays or are you traveling some place? Cuz Kevin and I are going to be in Utah for Christmas this year! I'm hoping we can catch up over a huge giant bowl of Tracy's Peanut Butter Cup... ;)

Beth said...

THANK-YOU for this post. Seriously, if I hear one more person ask me "are you ready for Christmas?" or brag about how they had all their shopping done a month ago I'm going to cry. Like I need people buying tickets for the guilt trip I treat myself to every year!

Sorry; what I'm saying is, I haven't bought anything either (with the exception of one big gift for the boys to share), and I'm glad to hear that I am not alone.

I hate crowds, and I really hate dragging my kids shopping with me through crowds, so I guess I'd better suck it up and go online (and yes, hope inspiration strikes, which is hard when you're not IN the store). I am sort of thinking cute Christmasy decorations (or non-Christmasy even) for my sisters-in-law. Since you're going totally-TAMN anyway maybe you should browse etsy? I hear they have cute, unique stuff. I have no idea if you can actually browse etsy but maybe it's worth a try. (Or maybe it's too late for homemade gifts, even if you pay for someone else to make them. Hmmmmmmmmm.)

Good luck (to both of us).