CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 23, 2009

Athletic Supporter

I'm not a crazy fan of any sports team. I hate trash talk and I don't let a ruined tournament decide my mood for the day. Why would I base my self esteem on something I can't control? I think about those people who are trash talkers. You may be able to talk the biggest pile of trash, but what happens if someone breaks a leg? Then you look like an idiot for something you had nothing to do with. I try to keep my idiot occurrences down to the factory minimum. (To answer your question, that minimum is 3 a week. With an increase to 5 during the holidays/family reunions.)

That being said, certain sports are welcome around our house. Welcome on the TV and welcome in conversation. Here they are in no particular order:

Rugby: This is all me. I get very snotty when I'm at a BYU game and I hear blond girls around me say "What is going on. . .I don't get it . . Why do they lift him by his shorts? What is going on? Did we score? Who's side are we on? What is going on? . . .That one, #8, looks good doesn't he? Does anyone know what is going on?"

I've stopped explaining the game to them. It just annoys me. I get up and move to another part of the stands. Seriously, why are all those girls blond? But I love watching a good Rugby game. Marcelo and I have plans to one day visit Europe for like 2 weeks, and on the schedule is a Rugby game for me and a Futbol game for him. Which brings me to my next sport. . .

Futbol: DUH!! Being from South America, this is a given. However, the best thing is that Marcelo loves the English Premiere league while simultaneously rejects the Mexican league. How very racist of him. I think he, like me, has a secret crush on Ronoldo. Hmmm, Ronoldo

He says no, but I see the way his eyes glaze over as he views Ronaldo's little gelled spikes adorning his pixie face. Marcelo doesn't SAY he has a pixie face, but I can see that he's thinking it. Anyway, Futbol is awesome. And Real Salt Lake is the champion. SUCK IT BECKHAM! And finally

The Scripps National Spelling Bee: I got married the summer of 2004. Right in the middle of the summer Olympics from Greece. The day we arrive in San Diego Marcelo and I checked into the hotel and waited for my family to arrive. In order to avoid temptation, we turned on the TV where there was a replay of the spelling bee from back in May. We were sucked in. The Olympics may have been going on, but we were all about those 11 and 12 year old kids spelling words like pococurante and autochthonous. Man, those kids are genius. . .and a little socially awkward. Which in my book is a perfect combination for disaster or good television. I'm glad we got the latter.

And for any of you who don't think that the spelling bee is a sport, I'll ask you this. . .Why do they broadcast it on ESPN then? BOOO-yaaaa!!

And in case you are wondering, here are some sports that are almost never welcome around our house.

Basketball. Marcelo HATES basketball. I hate that one game can last hours. And that often the last 3 minutes can last 15 or 20 minutes. We are not basketball fans. I don't come down on any of you that are, we just aren't.

Football. Again, no judgment on anyone who loves and worships this sport. I mean, we have our own worship going on over here at the altar of futbol, so we are not one to talk. But I just hate the sport. I hate the endless substitutions, endless breaks, huddles and time outs. I mean, isn't it time to PLAY the game? 4 seconds of "action" and it's time to take another huddle break. Let's get something going here! It is NOT a thinking man's game. And Marcelo is disgusted at how someone can be 318 pounds and be considered an athlete. We do NOT like football around here.

Baseball. This is all Marcelo. I actually like going to live games. Games on TV can be a little slow, but games live are much better. Marcelo thinks that the game is "so boring" and doesn't even like to go to the stadiums. I bet he would go if he knew what delicious things they sold there.

So that's it. Basically, we are sports snobs. I hope I didn't offend anyone here. I mean, if you are a live-and-die football fan, maybe you should get a life. I KID!! I'm just kidding!! Ok, I'll shut up now and hit the showers. Because being an athletic supporter can get really sweaty!!

2 comments:

Beth said...

I was just going to say that I am not so much a baseball fan but I love going to games ... for the food!! Ah yeah.

Basketball is a favorite for my dad and my brother (my dad played in HS!), and I think it's one of the more interesting games to watch on TV. Nathan enjoys watching the occasional football game (college, pretty much only BYU games). I have a love-hate relationship with football because of marching band. Love listening to the band during halftime, hate that I have to sit through an endless football game to do it.

I too love soccer (can I call it soccer instead of futbol?) Though I am not sure how you made it through several paragraphs without even MENTIONING Tom the Bomb or Cobra (ksk ksk!) so I will mention it in the comments.

hil said...

you know i love the Suns. Steve Nash is my athlete boyfriend. other than that, Frankie loves to watch all sports. i love that. it's manly or something. but i don't want to watch anything but Suns basketball. my brothers love all sports, especially basketball and baseball. athletic supporter cracked me up. i love Grease.