CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Post Thanksgiving Wrap-up

I really don't have anything to blog. I was going to blog about how my baby *ALMOST* has this night time sleeping thing down. We had like FIVE days in a row where she went down without me rocking her, and only woke up once for a night time feeding. But then the moment I start to get smug, I get slapped with some reality. She was awake (and crying) for hours last night. It wasn't a good night.

We are trying to "Ferberize" her. It seemed to be going well. I learned several things in just the first few pages of the book.

#1) My baby was sleeping too much during the day. I didn't think that was possible, but turns out it is. Less sleep during the day means more continuous sleep at night

#2) I think I was feeding her too much right before bed. So now we have solid food about 6 pm and then we get most of our dinner at 7:30 BEFORE the bath. It gives her time to get all the burps out and then she's ready to go down after her bath.

#3) I should let her put herself to sleep in the same way she needs to go to sleep at night. So if I have to rock her to sleep every night, then I'm going to have to rock her to sleep at 1 am when she wakes herself up from the REM sleep. However, If I let her put herself to sleep in her crib with a "transitional item" she will be able to put herself to sleep at 1 am when I'm not there.

#4) And finally, I need to get her in her own room. I didn't read this in the book. I'm just really realizing it's not working with her being in the room with us.

So those are the moments of clarity I've had this past week. Oh, and one more not related to sleeping schedules of my baby: If your brother leaves a pan of oil where your dog can find it and eat it, you should expect your dog to throw up many times for the next 12 hours. Maybe 7 times. Maybe it's greasy and has chunks of pineapple in it because someone gave pieces of pineapple to your dog and she gobbled them up. Oh, and olives too. There must always be olives in your dog's puke.

Ahh, good times. If you were wondering about my Thanksgiving, it was lovely. Thank you for asking. We went over to the House that MaxKyle is living in, and we had quite the feast. My mom for some reason decided that she needed to make 3 different kinds of pies, and she needed to make 2 of each. That means 6 pies. And there were only 13 of us eating. So if you do the math, that means each of us got about 1/2 of a whole pie. There was a ridiculous amount of pie left over. No worries, I took care of it over the next couple of days.

What else? What else? Evi is really cute these days. She sits up and is nearly crawling. She even almost pulled herself up on our coffee table the other day. She loves to eat rice and she loves to suck on ice cubes. She loves to bang her spoon on her high chair tray. She loves to smile and coo at her mom and dad. She hates it when mom leaves the room and she screams to get her to come back. (I actually HATE that. I think it's really annoying and is putting her on the pathway to being a spoiled little beast). She has her 6 month check up today and I think she's going to hate me after she gets her shots.

So that's it. I really don't have anything else going on. I'm very worried about buying Christmas gifts. I have no idea what to get everyone. At least Evi is taken care of: She's getting bath toys. I think she'll love them.

I hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving!!

3 comments:

Beth said...

I really do feel like sleeping is hit-or-miss, only gradually getting better, until suddenly you look back and realize how far you've come in the past couple months.

And I am ALL FOR the separate room thing! I know that others sleep with their baby in their room for whatever reason (not enough space, personal choice, whatever), and I am in awe of that. But I have always slept so much better (and baby, too) in separate rooms. Logan didn't sleep in our room *ever* and I moved Joshua out at 4 months (which is what the Sleep Nazi aka Weissbluth suggests). I do feel like it creates better sleep -- for the whole family!

I totally LOLed at the whole story about poor Raya throwing up. And I am tempted to reinstate the Quote Book just for "There must always be olives in your dog's puke." Hahahaha!

Lisa said...

Holy Cow! Evi is SIX months old? W O W! Seems impossible. Happy to hear the nighttime is getting easier. Glad to hear that Raya is OK! I didn't know a dog would survive drinking motor oil. GROSS! I miss seeing you, when are you coming up?!

Reggs said...

LOLLOL!!! Alicia this post was great AND informative! I have a friend who has a 3 year old who STIIIIILLL requires rocking to sleep before he'll go to bed. Am I just lazy, or is that INSANE? Good advice about the over-feeding...and you thought you were feeding her too much! And the sleeping too much during the day, I never would have guessed that either. (Probably because I, too, sleep too much during the day). Yay, Evelyn! Keep up the good sleeping!

As for Raya, I am SO SORRY! That throw up must have been horrible to clean up. If Raya is anything like Otis, he specifically barfs on carpet or rugs, when hardwood floor or tile was just inches away.

For Christmas, you and I will just go out to cheesecake factory (or heck, even Carls Jr.) and eat ourselves stupid. DONE. It will be our gifts to each other.